“Binding States” of Muscarinic Receptors
An examination of the binding of antagonists to the receptors in rat cerebral cortex has shown that this occurs to an apparently uniform set of sites (8). Furthermore, the binding constants so obtained are in close agreement with those estimated by antagonism of the contraction of the longitudinal smooth muscle of guinea pig ileum. However, it has been reported by Barlow et al. (1) that the activity of some antagonists on guinea pig heart was not identical to that on the ileum.
KeywordsMuscarinic Receptor Guanine Nucleotide Binding State Scatchard Plot Agonist Binding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Birdsall, N.J.M., Burgen, A.S.V. and Hulme, E.C. (1978): Molec. Pharmacol. 14:723–736.Google Scholar
- 7.Hulme, E.C., Birdsall, N.J.M., Berrie, C.P. and Burgen, A.S.V. (1980): Proc. EMBO Workshop: Drug receptors in central nervous system (in press).Google Scholar
- 8.Hulme, E.C., Birdsall, N.J.M., Burgen, A.S.V. and Mehta, P. (1978): Molec. Pharmacol. 14:737–750.Google Scholar
- 9.Jennewein, H.M. (1979): In Behandlung des Ulcus Pepticum mit Pirenzepin (eds) A.L. Blum and R. Hammer, Karl Demeter, Munich, pp. 41–48.Google Scholar
- 10.Matsuo, Y. and Seki, A. (1979): Arznemittelforschung 29:1028–1035.Google Scholar
- 12.Sachs, G., Kasbeker, D.K. and Berglindh, T. (1979): In Die Behandlung des Ulcus Pepticum mit Pirenzepln (eds) A.L. Blum and R. Hammer, Karl Demeter, Munich, pp. 18–25.Google Scholar