Electrophysiological and Morphological Correlates of the Re-Innervation of Rat Neuromuscular Junction: Implications on the Role of Membrane Components such as Gangliosides in the Motor Nerve Sprouting
The re-innervation process of a mammalian muscle can be divided into several parts: a) axonal growth; b) recognition of the endplate with consequent reformation of the nerve-muscle contact; c) maturation and stabilization of the new contact; and d) axonal sprouting, which can be considered a consequence of both the regeneration process and the presence of an endogenous stimulus, perhaps coming from the muscle. Our goal is to study those critical steps by means of histochemical and electrophysiological techniques. Three points mentioned above (b, c, d) were studied extensively, using frog neuromuscular preparations (6,7,18,24), and reviewed extensively by several authors (8,15). Although the studies performed on mammalian muscle are numerous, only a few approached the problem as a whole, trying to compare these different parameters (1) and carefully control the re-establishment of the synapse and the sprouting process itself.
KeywordsExtensor Digitorum Longus Extensor Digitorum Longus Muscle Endplate Potential Induce Muscle Contraction Endplate Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bennett, M.R., McLachlan, E.M. and Taylor, R.S. (1973): J. Physiol. 233:481–500.Google Scholar
- 3.Carmignoto, G., Finesso, M., Tredese, L. and Gorio, A. (1981): IN Membranes, Molecules, Toxins and Cells, (eds) K. Block, L. Bolis and D.C. Tosteson, PSG Publications, Littleton (in press).Google Scholar
- 4.Ceccarelli, B., Aporti, F. and Finesso, M. (1976): Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 71:275–293.Google Scholar
- 6.Dennis, M.J. and Miledi, R. (1974): J. Physiol. 239:553–570.Google Scholar
- 7.Dennis, K.J. and Miledi, R. (1974): J. Physiol. 239:571–594.Google Scholar
- 8.Gorio, A. (1980): IN A Multidisciplinary Approach to Brain Development (ed) C. Di Benedetta, Elsevier North-Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 439–452.Google Scholar
- 11.Gorio, A. and Mauro, A. (1979): Adv. Cyto pharmacol. 3:129–110.Google Scholar
- 14.Gutmann, E. (1945): J. Anat. 79:1–8.Google Scholar
- 19.Lomo, T. and Westgaard, R.H. (1975): J. Physiol. 252:603–626.Google Scholar
- 20.McArdle, J.J. and Albuquerque, E.X. (1973): J. Gen. Physiol. 61:1–23.Google Scholar
- 21.Miledi, R. (1960): J. Physiol. 154:190–205.Google Scholar
- 25.Tello, F. (1970): Trab. Lab. Invest. Biol. Univ. Madrid 5:117–151.Google Scholar