An Overview of Biochemical and Clinical Research on Coenzyme Q with Emphasis on Cardiomyopathy and Muscle Dystrophy
I am very pleased to be a participant in this Colloquium in honor of Dr. Tsoo King. This Colloquium on Membrane Biochemistry and Bioenergetics is a very nice tribute to Dr. King for his career of accomplishments. Since Dr. King invited me to present an overview, I include a little nostalgia, but I wish to emphasize some new data on the survival rates of patients with advanced cardiomyopathy when they are treated with coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) in addition to conventional therapy. Also, I shall emphasize some new data on treating patients with muscle dystrophy with CoQ10. The new therapy of muscle dystrophy with CoQ10 is the only known therapy which offers a better quality of life to such patients. This disease appears to be ideal for combining the biochemical and clinical aspects of CoQ10, and particularly because of the new availability of phosphorus NMR as currently studied by Britton Chance and other investigators. Phosphorus NMR allows the determinations of tissue levels of phosphocreatine, P1, and ATP with accuracy.
KeywordsMyotonic Dystrophy Muscle Dystrophy Tooth Disease Muscular Disease Quinone Pool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Crane, F.L. (1986) in: Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q. (Folkers, K.,and Yamamura, Y. eds.) Vol. 5, 3–14, Elsevier Science Publishers, B.V.:New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Beyer, R.E., Nordenbrand, K.,and Ernster, L., (1986) in: Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q. (Folkers, K.,and Yamamura, Y., eds.) Vol. 5., 17–24, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V.: New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Morgan-Hughes, J.A., (1983) in: Advanced Medicine (Saunders, K.B., ed) 19, 243–260, Pitman: LondonGoogle Scholar
- 7.Morgan-Hughes, J.A., Hayes, D.J., Clark, J.B., and Cooper, J.M. (1984) in. Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q. (Folkers, K., and Yamamura, Y., eds.) Vol. 4, 417–424, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V.:New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.Schölte, H.R., Luyt-Houwen, I.E.M., Busch, H.F.M., and Vaandrager-Verduin, M.H. (May 1986) New York Academy of Sciences, Como Meeting Google Scholar
- 9.Duboc, D., Jehenson, P., Tran Dinh, S., Syrota, A., and Fardeau, M., (1986) VJ Internat. Congress on Neuromusclar Disease in Los AngelesGoogle Scholar