Platelets, Hypoxemia and Pulmonary Hypertension
The capacity of hypoxia to induce pulmonary hypertension (PH) in animals and in man has been known for many years (von Euler and Liljestrand, 1974; Motley et al., 1974). Some evidence exists that platelets may undergo changes in function and in number because of an altitude hypoxemia (Sharma et al., 1979; Sharma, 1980). This, together with altitude decompression, may even lead to a pulmonary sequestration of platelets (Gray et al., 1975). Nevertheless, it seems doubtful that platelets significantly contribute to the enhancement of pulmonary vascular resistance induced by hypoxia.
KeywordsPulmonary Hypertension Patent Ductus Arteriosus Pulmonary Vascular Resistance Primary Pulmonary Hypertension Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kirby, B.J., 1980, Relationship between pulmonary gas exchange and pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive lung disease. Bull. Europ. Physiopath. Resp. 16:74.Google Scholar
- Neri Serneri, G.G., Masotti, G., Poggesi, L., Galanti, G., Castellani, S., Dipyridamole stimulates prostacyclin biosynthesis in man and in vitro. In: 6th International Congress on Thrombosis, Mediterranean League Against Thromboembolic Diseases, Monte-Carlo, October 23–25, 1980.Google Scholar
- Rubin, L.J., 1980, The influence of prostaglandin synthesis inhibition on the effects of hydralazine in dogs with hypoxic pulmonary hypertension. Am. Rev. Resp. Dis. 121:444.Google Scholar
- Rudolph, A.M., 1978, Effects of prostaglandins and synthetase inhibitors on the fetal circulation. In: Preterm labour, A. Anderson, R. Beard, M. Brudenell, P. Dunn, Eds. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, p. 231–242.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S.C., 1980, Platelet count on acute induction to high altitude. Thrombos. Haemostas. 43:29.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S.C., Balasubramanian, V., Chadha, K.S., 1979, Platelet adhesiveness in permanent residents of high altitude. Thrombos. Haemostas. 42:1508.Google Scholar
- Svensson, J., Strandberg, T., Tuveno, T., Hamberg, M., 1977, Thromboxane A2: effects on airway and vascular smooth muscle. Prostaglandins. 14:426.Google Scholar
- Tremoli, E., Bertoli, L., Maderna, P., Conti, F., Merlini, R., Mantero, O., 1980, Platelet anti-aggregating therapy in chronic obstructive lung disease. Clin. Resp. Physiol. 16:84.Google Scholar