The Applications of Infrared Spectroscopy in the Investigations of Cotton
With the development of the potassium bromide disk technique infrared absorption spectroscopy has become an increasingly important analytical tool for the cellulose chemist. No simple chemical method exists for evaluating the changes in molecular structure which occur with the chemical treatment of cotton. Infrared spectroscopy offers a means for obtaining such information through the identification of new functional groups which are present after modification, and provides information concerning changes in crystallinity and polymorphic form. Infrared data may also be applied to the detection and quantitative determination of cotton in blends with other fibres. Methods of analysis such as hydrolysis, differential spectroscopy, and multiple internal reflectance have added to the usefulness of this tool in the examination of cotton and modified cotton. Qualitative and quantitative analytical procedures using the infrared absorption spectra of cellulose are described and examples are presented of the applications of these techniques.
KeywordsCotton Fabric Polyvinyl Acetate Infrared Absorption Spectrum Cotton Cellulose Differential Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. T. O’Connor, E. R. McCall, and D. Micham, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 49, 214 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.V. W. Tripp, E. R. McCall, and R. T. O’Connor, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 52, 598 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.E. R. McCall, S. H. Miles, and R. T. O’Connor, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 55, 400 (1966).Google Scholar
- 15.E. R. McCall, S. H. Miles, and R. T. O’Connor, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 56, 35 (1967).Google Scholar
- 16.S. H. Miles, E. R. McCall, V. W. Tripp, and R. T. O’Connor, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 53, 440 (1964).Google Scholar
- 18.T. D. Miles, F. A. Hoffman, and A. Merola, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 49, 596 (1960).Google Scholar
- 19.J. P. Moreau and G L. Drake, Am. Dyestuff Reptr. 58 (3): 21–26 (Feb 10, 1969).Google Scholar
- 20.P. A. Wilks, Jr. and M. R. Iszard, Paper presented at the 15th Mid-America Spectroscopy Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, June 2–5, 1964.Google Scholar