Control of Sucrose Synthesis: Estimation of Free Energy Changes, Investigation of the Contribution of Equilibrium and Non-Equilibrium Reactions, and Estimation of Elasticities and Flux Control Coefficients
In this chapter I will review how ideas about the control of metabolism have developed in other fields, and will then apply these ideas to the regulation of photosynthetic sucrose synthesis. My main aim is to explore how control is organised and distributed between various enzymes, and how we can make quantitative statements about their response to effectors and their contribution to control in vivo. I will argue that a proper understanding of the nature of control is an essential prerequisite for the evalution of changes in flux and metabolite levels. In particular, it is essential to escape from an oversimplified use of the notion of ‘limitation’ in photosynthetic research.
KeywordsFree Energy Change Metabolite Level Fractional Change Elasticity Coefficient Sucrose Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Doehlert D.C. and Huber, S.C. 1988. Regulation of spinach leaf sucrose phosphate synthase by gluocose-6-phosphate, inorganic phosphate and pH.Google Scholar
- Dyson, J.E.D. and Noltman, E.A. 1963. The effect of pH and temperature on the kinetic parameters of phosphoglucose isomer-ase. J. Biol. Chem. 243, 1401–1414.Google Scholar
- Groen, A.K., Van der Meer, R., Westerhoff, H.V., Wanders, R.T.A., Akerboom, T.P.M., Tager, J.M. 1982a. Control of Metabolic Fluxes. In Metabolic Compartmentation, (ed. H. Sies) p 937. London Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Isherwood, F.A. and Selvandran, R.C. 1970. A note of the occurence of nucleotides in strawberry leaves. Phytochemistry, 2265–2267.Google Scholar
- Kacser, H. and Porteus, J.W., 1987. Control of metabolism : what do we have to measure? Trends in Biochem. Sciences 12, 5–14.Google Scholar
- Lehringer, A.L., 1970. Biochemistry, Worth Publ., New York.Google Scholar
- Newsholme, E.A. and Start, C., 1973. Regulation in Metabolism. Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- Rolleston, F.S., 1972. A theoretical background to the use of measured intermediates in the study of the control of intermediary metabolism. Curr. Top Cell. Reg. 5, 47–75.Google Scholar
- Stitt, M. and Große, H., 1988. Interaction between sucrose synthesis and photosynthesis IV. Temperature dependent adjustment of the relation between sucrose synthesis and CO2 fixation. J. Plant Physiol, (in press).Google Scholar
- Stitt, M., 1989. Control analysis of photosynthesis sucrose synthesis: assignment of elasticity coefficients and flux control coefficients to the cytosolic fructose-1,6-bisphos-phatase and sucrose phosphate synthase. Phil, trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. (In Press).Google Scholar