Relationship between Energy Dependent Release of Adenine Nucleotides from CF1 and Photophosphorylation
On illumination of thylakoid membranes, nucleotides bind to CF1, of CF0 -CF1, complex. This reaction is an exchange of CF1-bound adenine nucleotide for medium nucleotides. On the other hand, in the de-energized membranes the nucleotides remain tightly bound to CF1. Although the release of nucleotide is energy dependent, the rebindmg in principle is energy independent. The rate of energy dependent, release af adenine nucleotide is too slow as compared to the rate of ATP synthesis2, however, the initial rate of exchange of nucleotide during 20–50 m sec of illumination are comparable to the initial rate of ATP synthesis3.
KeywordsATPase Activity Thylakoid Membrane Methyl Viologen Adenine Nucleotide COOH Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.E. Schlodder, P. Gräber, and H.T. Witt, in: “Topics in Photosynthesis”, Vol.4, J. Barber, ed., Elsevier Biomedical, Amsterdam (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Strotmann, S. Bickel-Sandkötter, U. Franek, and V. Gerke, in: “Energy Coupling in Photosynthesis”, B.R. Selman and S. Selman-Reimer, eds, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Oliver, and A.T. Jagendorf, Fed. Proc. 34: 596 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Parkash, and G.S. Singhal, in: “Adv. in Photosynth. Res.”, C. Sybesma, ed., Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. Junk Publishers, The Hague (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Parkash, and G.S. Singhal, Proc. Ind. Nat. Sci. Acad. B53:435 (1987).Google Scholar