Are Envelope Membranes from Chloroplasts and Non-Green Plastids Identical?
The feature shared by all plastids (proplastids, leucoplasts, amyloplasts, etioplasts and chloroplasts) is a pair of outer membranes, known as the envelope (Douce et al, 1984). Together, these membranes provide a flexible boundary between the plastid and the surrounding cytosol. Unfortunately, work on the envelope membranes from non-green plastids has lagged far behind that conducted on their chloroplast counterpart mostly because it is very difficult to prepare large amounts of intact non-green plastids free from contaminating membranes and mitochondria. Among non-green plastids, chromoplasts and etioplasts have been the main sources for investigations on the structure, chemical composition and functions of envelope membranes (for a review, see Douce et al, 1984). However, except for the work of Fishwick and Wright (1980) on envelope membranes from potato tuber amyloplasts, no studies on starch-containing plastids are available, mainly because the presence of starch grains makes the preparation of intact plastids, and consequently of envelope membranes, difficult.
KeywordsSpinach Chloroplast Envelope Membrane Phosphatidate Phosphatase Chloroplast Envelope Membrane Outer Envelope Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alban, C., Joyard, J. C. Douce, R. (1988) Plant Physiol. in press Google Scholar
- Block, M.A., Dorne, A.J., Joyard, J. & Douce, R. (1983) J. Biol. Chem. 258, 13280–13286Google Scholar
- Block, M.A., Dorne, A.J., Joyard, J., Douce, R. (1983) J. Biol. Chem. 258, 13181–13286Google Scholar
- Briarty, L.G., Hughes, C.E., Evers, A.D. (1979) Ann. Bot. (London) 44, 641–658Google Scholar
- Heinz, E. (1977) InLipids and Lipid Polymers (M. Tevini and H.K. Lichtenthaler, eds.), pp. 102–120, Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Joyard, J., Chuzel, M. & Douce, R. (1979) InAdvances in Biochemistry and Physiology of Plant Lipids (Appelquist L.A and Liljenberg C. eds.), 181–186, Elsevier/North-Holland Amsterdam)Google Scholar
- Joyard, J., Blée, E. & Douce, R. (1986) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 879, 78–87Google Scholar
- Joyard, J. & Douce, R. (1987) InThe Biochemistry of Plants, volume 9, Lipids (P.K. Stumpf, ed.) pp. 215–274, Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Mudd, J.B., Kathryn, F. & Kleppinger-Sparace (1987b) InThe Biochemistry of Plants, volume 9, Sulfolipids (P.K. Stumpf, ed.) pp. 275–289, Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar