The Role of Basement Membrane in Angiogenesis
Local degradation of basement membranes of the parent vessel, usually a venule, by specific enzymes released by the “activated” endothelial cells under the influence of an angiogenic stimulus.
Increase in the number of organelles and pseudopodes of endothelial cells that protrude through the “holes” of basement membrane of the parent vessel.
Migration of endothelial cells from the vessel wall into the interstitial space toward the angiogenic stimulus.
Alignment of endothelial cells to form a sprout, which elongates. The migrating endothelial cells are at the tip and behind are the endothelial cells in mitosis.
A lumen is formed by each endothelial cell in the sprout and the individual sprouts join with each other to form a loop through which blood begins to flow.
Pericytes migrate along the capillary sprout and become associated with the abluminal surface of the endothelial cells.
The final step is the formation of basement membranes by the endothelial cells and probably the pericytes.
KeywordsBasement Membrane Capillary Endothelial Cell Vascular Density Parent Vessel Extracellular Matrice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Farquhar, M. Structure and function in glomerular capillaries In Biology and Chemistry of Basement Membrane, ed. by Kefalides, N., Academy Press, New York, pp. 42–80, 1978.Google Scholar
- Folkman, J. Towards an understanding of angiogenesis. Search and discovery. Persp. in Biol. and Med. 29:10–35, 1985.Google Scholar
- Maragoudakis, M.E., Kalinsky, H.J. and Wasvary, J. Basement membrane biosynthesis: secretion without deposition of underhydroxylated basement membrane collagen by parietal yolk sac. Biochem. Biophys. Act. 538:134–154, 1978.Google Scholar
- Maragoudakis, M.E., Sarmonika, M. and Panoutscaopolou, M. Inhibition of basement membrane synthesis prevents angiogenesis. J. Pharmacol and Exper. Therap. 244:729–733, 1988.Google Scholar
- Rouslahti, E. and Pierschbacher, M.D. Molecular basis of cell extracellular matrix interactions. In The liver Biology and Pathophysiology second edition, ed. by I.M. Arias, W.B. Jakoby. H. Popper, D. Schacter, and D.A. Shafritz, editors. Raven Press Ltd. New York, p. 739–745, 1988.Google Scholar
- Weiss, L., Orr, F.W. and Honn, K. Interaction of cancer cells with the microvasculature during metastasis. FASEB J.2. 12–21, 1988.Google Scholar