Unacceptable Levels of Fungi
The significance of fungal populations and the setting of unacceptable levels in foods are vexed questions. Unlike bacterial counts, fungal counts may be greatly influenced by contamination with dust or extraneous matter, or degree of sporulation and fragmentation of mycelia, and may not relate directly to actual fungal growth. Nevertheless, food manufacturers are constantly seeking advice on the significance of fungal populations and on the desirability or feasibility of establishing standards for unacceptable counts in foods.
KeywordsFruit Juice Apple Juice Sorbic Acid Unacceptable Level Mycotoxin Contamination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BURGESS, L. W. & LIDDELL, C. M. 1983 Laboratory Manual for Fusarium Research. Sydney, N. S. W.: University of Sydney.Google Scholar
- KING, A. D., HOCKING, A. D. & PITT, J. I. 1979 Dichloran-rose bengal medium for enumeration and isolation of molds from foods. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 37, 959–964.Google Scholar
- NASH, S. M. & SNYDER, W. C. 1962 Quantitative estimations by plate counts of propagules of the bean root rot Fusarium in field soils. Phytopathology 52, 567–572.Google Scholar
- PITT, J. I. 1984 The significance of potentially toxigenic fungi in foods. Food Technology in Australia 36, 218–219.Google Scholar
- CARTWRIGHT, P. & HOCKING, A. D. 1984 Byssochlamys in fruit juices Food Technology in Australia 36, 210–211Google Scholar
- PITT, J. I. & RICHARDSON, K. C. 1973 Spoilage by preservative-resistant yeasts. CSIRO Food Research Quarterly 33, 80–85Google Scholar
- DEAK, T. 1981 A simplified scheme for identification of yeasts and its applications in ecological surveys. Trilateral Conference on Yeast (Budapest) 4 pp.Google Scholar
- KORNYEI, J., TABAJDI, P. V., DEAK, T. & REICHART, 0. 1983 Investigations of the biological stability of wines. Borgazdasag 31, 103–108. (In Hungarian)Google Scholar
- LUKACSOVICS, F., HAJNAL, L. & DEAK, T. 1981 Microbiological stability of wines of lower alcohol content. Borgazdasag 29, 30–33. (In Hungarian)Google Scholar
- MINARIK, E. 1980 Zur Okologie von Hefen and hefeartigen Mikroorganismen abgefullter Weine. Wein-Wiss. 36, 280–285.Google Scholar
- RANKINE, B. C. & PILONE, D. A. 1973 Saccharomyces bailii, a resistant yeast causing serious spoilage of bottled table wine. American Journal of Enology Viticulture 24, 55–58.Google Scholar