Pair Production by Relativistic Electrons from an Intense Laser Focus
A preliminary discussion is given of electron-positron pair production by means of electrons accelerated to relativistic velocities at the focus of a laser beam. First, the pair cross-section was numerically evaluated near its energy threshold. Then, two methods of relativistic electron production by focused laser light were considered: the coherent oscillation of electrons, and the acceleration of a few high velocity electrons by plasma waves excited by laser-driven instabilities. It was found that the first method would produce pairs for neodymium laser light which is close to the limits of achievable intensities (1019–1020 W/cm2). The second method, however, may be capable of producing pairs at lower intensities.
KeywordsPair Production Relativistic Electron Plasma Wave Electron Kinetic Energy Laser Beam Intensity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P.G. Kryukov and V.S. Letokhov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 99, 169 (1969) [English translation: Sov. Phys.-Usp. 12, 641 (1970)].Google Scholar
- 3.F.V. Bunkin and I.I. Tugov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSR 187, 541 (1969) [English translation: Sov. Phys.-Dokl. 14,778 (1970)].Google Scholar
- 5.F.V. Bunkin and A.E. Kazakov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 193, 1274 (1970) [English translation: Sov. Phys.-Dokl. 15, 758 (1971)].Google Scholar
- 8.V.L. Ginzburg, The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas J.B. Sykes and R.J. Taylor, Translators ( Pergamon Press, New York, 1964 ).Google Scholar
- 18.L. Spitzer, Jr., Physics of Fully Ionized Gases 2nd Ed (Interscience Publishers, New York, 1962 ), p. 56.Google Scholar
- 19.J.W. Shearer and J.J. Duderstadt, Nuclear Fusion 13, No. 3, 401 (1973).Google Scholar
- 23.L.W. Coleman, J.E. Swain, F. Rainer, and R.A. Saroyan, Pulse Characterization for the Long Path Laser at LLL Rept. UCRL-74626 (1973), unpublished.Google Scholar