Short Pulse Laser Heated Plasma Experiments
The interaction between time tailored, high intensity, laser radiation and spherical light element targets has been investigated. Simultaneous measurements of the laser plasma electron temperature, charged particle distribution, absorbed energy, neutron yields and backscattered light intensity and spectra were made. For 100 psec. wide laser pulses focused to intensities ranging between 3x1015 and 2x1016 watts/cm2 on 150–200 μm diameter LiD and C36D74 targets, plasmas with electron temperatures up to 1.2 keV and target generated yields of up to 4x104 neutrons are produced. The absorption can be accounted for by inverse bremsstrahlung and no significant contributions due to parametric instabilities are observed. No more than 10−1 of the incident laser energy is back reflected into spectral components at ωL 3/2ωL and 2ωL.
KeywordsNeutron Yield Neutron Detector Stimulate Brillouin Scattering Inverse Bremsstrahlung Spherical Target
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Yamanaka, C., Yamanaka, T., Sasaki, S., Yoshida, K., Waki, M., and Kang, H., Phys. Rev. A 6 (1972) 2335.Google Scholar
- 5.McCall, G.H., Yound, F., Ehler, A.W., Kephart, J.F., and Godwin, R.P., Phys. Rev. Lett. 30 (1973) 1116.Google Scholar
- 6.Kaw, P.K. and Dawson, J.M., Phys. Fluids 12 (1969) 2586.Google Scholar
- 8.Soures, J., Kumpan, S., and Hoose, J. Report No. 20, Laboratory for Laser Energetics, University of Rochester (1973), to be published, Appl. Optics.Google Scholar
- 9.Soures, J., Bristow, T., Lubin, M., Oron, M., and Goldman, L. Bul. Amer. Phys. Soc. 17, 972 (1972) Abstract 1B8;Google Scholar
- Brauer, A., and Goldman, E.B., Bul, Amer. Phys. Soc. 17, 1000 (1972), Abstract 3C7, Jour. Appl. Physics (March 1974 ).Google Scholar
- 11.Bristow, T.C., “X-ray Emission and Ionization Dynamics of Laser Produced Plasmas”, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y. (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.Gratton, R. in “Physics of High Energy Density” edited by P. Caldirola and H. Knoepfel, Academic Press, N.Y. (1971).Google Scholar
- 15.Spitzer, L., “Physics of Fully Ionized Gases”, Wiley, New York (1967).Google Scholar
- 16.Shearer, J., Lawrence Livermore Laboratory Report UCID-15745 (1970).Google Scholar
- 17.Seely, J.F. and Harris, E.G., Phys. Rev. A 7 (1973) 1064.Google Scholar
- 19.Kruer, W.L., Eastabrook, K.G., Sinz, K.H., Lawrence Livermore Laboratory Report UCRL-74676 (1973);Google Scholar