Immobilized Chloroplast Membranes: Effects of Cations and Antichaotropes Anions
Biophotolysis of water, photohydrogen production and ATP regeneration can be used for the direct bioconversion of solar energy and have been studied by numerous authorsl. Isolated chloroplast membranes are able to perform the photolysis of water, but the stability of photosystems over a long period of time is a crucial limitation for technological applications.
KeywordsContinuous Stir Tank Reactor Chloroplast Membrane Potassium Citrate Photoacoustic Spectroscopy Functional Stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. Joussaume and R. Bourdu, Retention of properties by chloroplasts upon storage outside their original cellular medium, Biol. Cell 47: 251 (1983)Google Scholar
- 4.G. Kulandaivelu and D.O. Hall, Stabilization of the photosynthetic activities of isolated spinach chloroplasts during prolonged ageing, Z. Naturforsch 31: 452 (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.A. Tanaka and S. Fukui, Immobilized organelles in: “Immobilized cells and organelles”, Mattiasson, ed., CRC Press, (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.B. Thomasset, T. Thomasset, A. Vejux, J. Jeanfils, J.N. Barbotin and D. Thomas, Immobilized thylakoids in a cross-linked albumin matrix: effects of cations studied by electron microscopy, fluorescence emission, photoacoustic spectroscopy, and kinetic measurements, Plant Physiol. 70: 714 (1982).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.G. Mac Kinney, Absorption of light by chlorophyll solutions, J. Biol. Chem. 140: 315 (1941).Google Scholar
- 12.B. Thomasset, J.N. Barbotin and D. Thomas. The effects of oxygen solubility and high concentrations of salts on photosynthetic electron transport of chloroplast membranes, Biochem. J. 218: 539 (1984)Google Scholar
- 14.W.R. Vieth, K. Venkatasubramanian, A. Constantinides and B. Davidson, Design and analysis of immobilized enzymes and immobilized microbial cells, Appl. Biochem. Bioeng. 1: 221 (1976).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Sironval, M. Brouers, J.M. Michel and Y. Kuiper, The reduction of photochlorophyllide into chlorophyllide I. The kinetics of the P 657–647 P 688–676 phototransformation, Photosynthetica 2: 268 (1968)Google Scholar
- 19.S. Izawa and N.E. Good, Effect of salts and electron transport on the conformation of isolated chloroplasts II: electron microscopy, Plant Physiol. 41: 552 (1966)Google Scholar