Control of Mitochondrial Respiration by the Protonmotive Force
Since the development of the chemiosmotic hypothesis by Mitchell (1) a central role in energy conservation has been attributed to protons (2). The experiments, designed to verify this role, have been very successful in demonstrating that movement of protons generally accompanies the process of energy transduction in mitochondria, chloroplasts and bacteria. However, up to this moment, there are a number of observations that are difficult to reconcile with the original scheme proposed by Mitchell. A discussion of these anomalies can be found in a review by Westerhoff et al. (3).
KeywordsTitration Respiration Photosynthesis Cond Hexokinase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Westerhoff, H.V., B.A.Melandri, G.Venturoli, G.F.Azzone and D.B.Kell, Biochim.Biophys.Acta 768, 257–292 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.Van Dam, K. and H.V.Westerhoff, in: Bioenergetics, L.Ernster, ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 1–27 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.Williams, R.J.P., Biochim.Biophys.Acta 505, 1–44 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.Rottenberg, H., in: Frontiers in biological energetics, Vol.1, P.L.Dutton, J.S.Leigh and S.Scarpa, eds., Academic Press, New York, pp.403–412 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.Kell, D.B. and Morris, J.G., in:Vectorial reactions in electron and ion transport in mitochondria and bacteria, F.Palmieri, E.Quagliariello, N.Siliprandi and E.C.Slater, eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp.339–347 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.Van Dam, K., H.Woelders, A.M.A.F.Colen and H.V.Westerhoff, Biochem. Soc.Trans. 12, 401–402 (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.Berden, J.A., M.A.Herweijer and J.B.J.W.Cornelissen, in: H+-ATPase, S.Papa, K.Altendorf, L.Ernster and L.Packer, eds., Adriatica Editrice, Bari, pp. 339–348 (1984).Google Scholar
- 13.Van Dam, K., H.V.Westerhoff, K.Krab, R.van der Meer and J.C.Arents, Biochim.Biophys.Acta 591, 240–250.Google Scholar
- 14.Tsou, C.S., Mitochondrial membrane processes, Ph.D.Thesis, University of Amsterdam, Mondeel Offset Drukkerij, Amsterdam (1970).Google Scholar
- 15.Baum, H., H.S.Hall, J.Nalder and R.B.Beechey, in: Energy transduction in respiration and photosynthesis,E.Quagliariello, S.Papa and G.S.Rossi, eds., Adriatica Editrice, Bari, pp. 747–755 (1971).Google Scholar
- 16.Hitchens, G.D. and D.B.Kell, Biochem.J. 206, 351–357 (1982).Google Scholar