Factors Determining the Stability of Complex Compounds in Solution
The stability of a complex particle (ion or molecule) in solution is determined by the nature of the central atom and the ligands. The most important characteristics of the central atom, determining the stability of the complex compound, are the degree of oxidation (charge on the central ion in the case of ionic complexes), the dimensions, and the electronic structure. In the case of complexes with monatomic ligands, stability is dependent on the same characteristics in the ligand (charge, radius and electronic structure). The strength of binding for ligand molecules and polyatomic ions depends, in addition, on the nature of the atoms directly linked to the central atom, and on the particular features of the structure of the ligand molecule (orion).
KeywordsElectron Affinity Central Atom Complex Compound Polarize Action Complex Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. GRINBERG and K. B. YATSIMIRSKII, Izy. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. khim. nauk. No. 2, 211 (1952).Google Scholar
- 2.K. B. YATSIMIRSKII, Zh. obshch. khim., 24, 1498 (1954).Google Scholar
- 3.L. ORGEL, J. Chem. Soc., 4756 (1952).Google Scholar
- 5.K. B. YATSIMIRSKII, Zh. neorg. khim., 1, 2451 (1956).Google Scholar
- 6.K. B. YATSIMIRSKII and T. I. FEDOROVA, ibid., 1, 2310 (1956).Google Scholar
- 7.L. P. PAULING, The Nature of the Chemical Bond (Priroda khimicheskoi svyazi), (Translation into Russian), Moscow (1947).Google Scholar
- 8.Ya. K. SYRKIN and M. E. DYATKINA, Zh. obshch. khim., 16, 345 (1946).Google Scholar
- 9.Ya. K. SYRKIN, Izy. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. khim. nauk. No. 1, 69 (1948).Google Scholar
- 10.A. K. BABKO, The Physico-Chemical Analysis of Complex Compounds in Solution (Fiziko-khimicheskii analiz kompleksnykh soyedinenii v rastvorakh), Kiev (1955).Google Scholar
- 11.J. BJERRUM, Metal Ammine Formation in Aqueous Solutions, Copenhagen (1941).Google Scholar
- 13.C. L. van PANTHALEON van ECK, H. B. M. WALTERS and W. J. JASPERS, ibid., 75, 796 (1956).Google Scholar