Planetary Atmospheres and the Origin of the Moon
Much of the material presented at this conference has been concerned with the projection backward in time of the relative orbits of the Earth and the Moon. However, it is also of interest to see what constraints the history of the Earth-Moon system places upon any theory of the origin of the solar system. The difficulty with this approach is that there are many different points of view concerning the origin of the solar system, and hence one cannot expect to obtain any very precise predictions concerning the origin of the Earth-Moon system. Nevertheless, it is instructive to examine, within the framework of the various ideas about the origin of the solar system, the predictions which can be made concerning the origin of the Earth-Moon system. In this way the investigation of the properties of the Earth-Moon system may cast some light upon possible theories of the origin of the solar system.
KeywordsAngular Momentum Solar Nebula Iron Core Rotational Instability Planetary Atmosphere
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnold, J. R. (1964), in: H. Craig, S. L. Miller, and G. J. Wasserburg (eds.), Isotopic and Cosmic Chemistry, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Brown, H. (1952), in: G. P. Kuiper (ed.), The Atmospheres of the Earth and Planets, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Cameron, A. G. W. (1963a), in: R. Jastrow and A. G. W. Cameron (eds.), Origin of the Solar System, Academic Press Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Cameron, A. G. W. (1963b), in Nuclear Astrophysics, notes from lectures at Yale University (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Cameron, A. G. W. (1964a), in: P. J. Brancazio and A. G. W. Cameron, (eds.), The Origin and Evolution of Atmospheres and Oceans, J. Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Elsasser, W. M. (1963), in: J. Geiss and E. D. Goldberg (eds.), Earth Science and Meteorities, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Opik, E. J. (1951), Proc. Roy. Irish Acad. Sec. A 54: 165.Google Scholar
- Opik, E. J. (1961b), Ann. Acad. Sci. Fennicae Ser A III 61: 185.Google Scholar