Review of the Physical Bases for Biological Tissue Characterization by Ultrasound
Imaging of tissues by means of ultrasound is now a vital element in the diagnostic armoury of medicine. In the development of the requisite equipment, the foundation stone has been the understanding of the modes of interaction between ultrasound and biological tissues (1). Furthermore, there has been a dynamic interplay between the extent of this understanding and the diagnostic technology. Advances on one front have served to spur advances on the other.
KeywordsAttenuation Coefficient Speckled Pattern Tissue Characterization Medical Ultrasound Imaging Regional Myocardial Infarction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Hussey, “Diagnostic Ultrasound: An Introduction to the Interactions between Ultrasound and Biological Tissues”, Blackie & Son, Ltd., Glasgow (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.S. A. Goss, R. L. Johnston and F. Dunn, Comprehensive compilation of empirical ultrasonic properties of mammalian tissues, J. Acoust Soc. Am. 64: 423 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.S. A. Goss, R. L. Johnston and F. Dunn, Compilation of empirical ultrasonic properties of mammalian tissues II, J. Acoust Soc. Am. 68: 93 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.R. C. Chivers and R. J. Parry, Ultrasonic velocity and attenuation in mammalian tissues, J. Acoust Soc. Am. 63: 940 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.J. G. Miller et al., Ultrasonic tissue characterization: correlation between biochemical and ultrasonic indices of myocardial injury, in: “Proc. IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 1976”.Google Scholar
- 6.D. E. Yuhas et al., Changes in ultrasonic attenuation indicative of regional myocardial infarction, Ultrasound in Medicine 3 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.J. M. Thijssen, ed., “Ultrasonic Tissue Characterization: Clinical Achievements and Technological Potentials”, Stafleu’s Scientific Publishing Co., Brussels (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.M. deBilly and G. J. Quentin, Methods of analysis for back-scattering from tissues, Ultrasonics 85 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Linzer, ed., “Ultrasonic Tissue Characterization, I, II, III”, National Bureau of Standards, Washington (1976, 1979, 1980) .Google Scholar
- 10.A. Moore, J. Callis and M. Hussey, Ultrasound tissue characterization using statistical analysis of the R. F. echo pulses, (this symposium).Google Scholar