Characterisation and Origin of Delmarva Bay Basin Fill
This study examined the characteristics and origin of basin fill sediments, and their effect on water-table fluctuations in Delmarva bays on the northern Delmarva Peninsula. The Delmarva Peninsula, composed of coastal plain sediments, separates Chesapeake Bay from the Atlantic Ocean. This peninsula is generally of low relief with elevations ranging from sea level to just over 30m. Extensive areas of swampy closed depressions surrounded by a distinct rim of sandy material (Delmarva bays) occur on the northern part of the Delmarva Peninsula. These are shallow depressions with changes in elevation generally 1.5 m from the top of the rim to lowest area of the basin. Bays range in length from 100 m to over 2 km. Depressions of this type are reported to occur along the Atlantic seaboard from New Jersey to Florida (Melton and Schriever, 1933; Johnson, 1942; Buell, 1946; Frey, 1951; Prouty, 1952; Rasmussen, 1958; Ingram, Robinson and Odum, 1959; Bryant, 1964; Savage, 1982), but are most extensively found in North and South Carolina where they are known as Carolina bays.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bryant, J.P. (1964) Soils of the Carolina Bays and interbay areas in Scotland County, North Carolina. PhD Dissertation, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NCGoogle Scholar
- Day, P.R. (1965) Particle fractionation and particle size analysis. In C.A. Black (ed.), Methods of soil analysis, Part 2. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WIGoogle Scholar
- Ingram, R.L., Robinson, M. and Odum, H.T. (1959) Clay mineralogy of some Carolina Bay sediments. Southeastern Geol., 1, 1–10Google Scholar
- Jackson, M.L. (1956) Soil chemical analysis, advanced course. Univ. of Wisconsin, Dept. of Soils, Madison, WIGoogle Scholar
- Johnson, D.W. (1942) Origin of the Carolina Bays. Columbia University Press, Columbia, SC, 341 pp.Google Scholar
- Rasmussen, W.C. (1958) Geology and hydrology of the ‘Bays and Basins’ of Delaware. PhD Dissertation, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr. PAGoogle Scholar
- Savage, H. (1982) The mysterious Carolina Bays. University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, SCGoogle Scholar
- Soil Survey Staff (1981) Soil survey manual. Handbook 430-V-SSM. USDA-SCS, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- White, E.A. (1982) Soil survey of Kent County, Maryland. USDA-SCS, Washington, DC, 125 pp.Google Scholar