The Value of Wetlands in Low Relief Landscapes
Much is known about wetland values, especially the values of wetlands associated with water bodies and stream corridors. A great deal of work has been done and is still being done concerning the value of coastal marshes and swamps to estuarine productivity and the values associated with floodplain wetlands and bottomland hardwood ecosystems. Values are associated with wildlife utilization and support and water quality functions among others. While much is known about wetland values, it still remains almost impossible to assess their values to society and therefore quantitatively to answer questions of public policy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adamus, P. and Stockwell, S. (1983) A method of wetland functional assessment. FHWA no’s. 1P82–23 and 1P82–24. US Dept. of Transportation, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- Brown, M.T. and Starnes, E.M. (1983) A wetlands study of Seminole County: identification, evaluation, and preparation of development standards and guidelines. Gainesville, FL, Center for Wetlands, University of Florida, p. 284Google Scholar
- Brown, S.L. (1978) A comparison of cypress ecosystems in the landscape of Florida. PhD dissertation. University of Florida, Gainesville, p. 570Google Scholar
- Gilliland, M.W. (1978) Energy analysis: A new public policy tool. AAAS Select Symposium. Westview Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gleason, H.A. (1922) On the relationship between species and area. Ecology 3, 158–62Google Scholar
- Odum, H.T. (1978) Energy analysis, energy quality, and environment. In M.W. Gilliland (ed.) Energy analysis: a new public policy tool. AAAS Selected Symposium. Westview Press, New York, pp. 55–87Google Scholar
- Odum, H.T. (1986) Emergy in ecosystems. In N. Polunin (ed.) Environmental monographs and symposia. Sponsored by Foundation for Environmental Conservation, Geneva, Switzerland. John Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Odum, H.T., Lavine, M.J., Wang, F.C., Miller, M.A., Alexander, J.F. and Butler, T. (1983) A manual for using energy analysis for plant siting prepared for US Nuclear Regulatory Commission.NUREG/CR-2443. US Nuclear Reg. Commission, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- Preston, F.W. (1960) Time and space and the variation of species. Ecology 13, 611–27Google Scholar
- Preston, F.W. (1962) The canonical distribution of commonness and rarity. Ecology 43, 185–215Google Scholar
- Sullivan, M.F. (1986) Organization of low-relief landscapes in north and central Florida. MS Thesis, Department of Geography, Gainesville, FLGoogle Scholar
- Winchester, B. (1982) Valuation of coastal plain wetlands in the southeastern United States. In P.M. McCaffrey, T. Beemer, and S.E. Gatewood (eds) Progress in wetlands utilization and management Dept. of Env. Regulation, Tallahassee, FL, pp. 285–98Google Scholar