Review of Experiments on Nucleon-Nucleon Bremsstrahlung
It is now only about 6-1/2 years since the publication of the first experiments1 on nucleon-nucleon bremsstrahlung. During that time we have come a long way. From conception and birth, with the initial great hope that here at last was a practical way of selecting the correct potential for the nucleon-nucleon force, we passed through the youthful era of wild disagreements with theoretical predictions, and then into comfortable middle age when all experiments and theories seem to agree reasonably well. Recently interest has tended to wane somewhat, particularly since it was revealed that although off-shell effects are certainly being observed, the bulk of the difference between the existing ppy predictions of various potential models can be traced to already-known differences in their on-shell behavior.2 Thus the original great promise has failed to materialize. Nevertheless, the field is still vigorous and has not yet reached senility, particularly with respect to npγ experiments.
KeywordsIntegrate Cross Section Coulomb Effect Spin Orbit Term Rescattering Effect Inelastic Proton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.A. Willis, N. Osenda-Willis, R. Frasearla, N. Marty, and M. Morlet, 1970 Annual Report of I.P.N., Orsay (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 11.M. K. Liou and M. I. Sobel, to be published.Google Scholar
- 18.D. W. Storm and R. Heffner, to be published.Google Scholar
- 30.L. Heller and M. Rich, Bull. A.P.S. 16, 559 (1971).Google Scholar
- 33.J. W. Verba, I. Slaus, J. R. Richardson, L. S. August, W. T. H. van Oers, and R. F. Carlson, in International Nuclear Physics Conference, Gatlinburg, 1966, ed. by Becker, Goodman, Stelson, A and Zucker, A (Academic Press, N.Y., 1967), p. 619.Google Scholar
- 36.J. A. Edgington, V. J. Howard, S. S. das Gupta, F. P. Brady, I. M. Blair, C. A. Baker, and B. E. Bonner, Symposium on the Nuclear Three-Body Problem and Related Topics, Budapest, July 8–11, 1971, paper B-1.Google Scholar
- V. R. Brown and J. Franklin, Bull. A.P.S. 16, 560 (1971), and this Symposium.Google Scholar
- 43.F. P. Brady, in preparation.Google Scholar