Amphetamine Induced Arousal in Human Subjects as a Model for Mania
One avenue for investigating the biological aspects of mania, is to use a pharmacological model and in the past a variety of animal models have been proposed. These experiments however risk being an over-simplification with the additional difficulty of extrapolation from one species to another. Furthermore, animal models allow no measure of the mental state, a necessity in research in the field of psychological illness.
KeywordsPlacebo Lithium Attenuation Dopamine Cortisol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).T Silverstone and J Cookson, The Biology of Mania, in: Recent Advances in Clinical Psychiatry, 4, edited by Granville-Grossman, 201–241, (1962).Google Scholar
- (2).J Scheelkruger, Some Aspects of the Mechanism of Action of various Stimulant Amphetamine Analogues, Psychiat Neurol Neurochir (Amst), 75, 179–192, (1972).Google Scholar
- (4).A Randrup, I Munkvad, R Fog, J Gerlach, L Molander, B Kjellberg, J Scheelkruger, Mania, Depression and Brain Dopamine, in: Current Developments Psychopharmacology, 2, Spectrum Publications, 205–248, (1975).Google Scholar
- (6).D Jacobs and T Silverstone, Pimozide Inhibits and Thymoxamine Enhances D-Amphetamine Induced Arousal in Human Subjects, 13th CINP Congress, (1982).Google Scholar
- (7).G Ashcroft, D Eccleston, L Murray, A Glen, T Crawford, I Pullar, P Shields, D Walter, I Blackburn, J Connechan, M Lonergan, Modified Amine Hypothesis for the Aetiology of Affective Illness, Lancet, 573–577, (1972).Google Scholar
- (10).G Besser, P Butler, J Landon, L Rees, Influence of Amphetamines on Plasma Corticosteroid and Growth Hormone Levels in Man, Brit Med J, 528–530, (1969).Google Scholar
- (11).H Brodie, D Murphy, F Goodwin, W Bunney (Jnr), Catecholamines and Mania: The Effect of Alpha-Methyl-Para- tyrosine on Manic Behaviour and Catecholamine Metabolism, Clinical Pharmacol Ther, 12(2), 218–224, (1971).Google Scholar
- (20).R Post, Biochemical Theories of Mania, in: Mania An Evolving Concept, edited by Belmaker and Van Praag, Spectrum Publications, New York, 217–265, (1980).Google Scholar
- (26).Von H Beckman and H Heineman, D-Amphetamine Beim Manischen Syndrom, Arzheimittel Forsch, 26(6), 1185–1186, (1976).Google Scholar