A Study of Epilepsy and Interictal Psychosis Using the Oxygen-15 Inhalation Technique and Position Emission Tomography
There are new several studies of positron emission tomography in epilepsy, and virtually all have used fluoro-deoxyglucose as the preferred method of investigation. They have mainly examined selected patients undergoing evaluation for consideration of temporal lobe surgery for intractable seizures. Similarly, the published data using this technique in schizophrenia have also used glucose uptake to assess metabolism. The Hammersmith group have developed the technique using oxygen-15 and positron emission tonography for the measurement of regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF), and the regional oxygen extraction fraction (rOER), which permits the calculation of regional oxygen metabolism (rCMRO2), (Frackcwiak, Lenzi, Jones and Heather 1980). In this paper we presentdata on a group of patients with epileptic psychosis.
KeywordsTemporal Lobe Epilepsy Partial Seizure Regional Cerebral Blood Flow Partial Epilepsy Psychotic Patient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Di Lisi LE, Buchsbaum MS, Irving CA, Dcwling S, Johnson J, Holcorib HH, Kessler R, and Boroncw J, (1983),Clinical correlates of PET in schizophrenia. New Research Abstracts. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting May 1983 NR49.Google Scholar
- Engel J, Kuhl DE, Phelps ME, and Mazziota JC, (1982), Interictal Cerebral Glucose Metabolism in partial epilepsy and its relation to EEG changes. Ann Neurol 12: 512–517.Google Scholar
- Hill D, (1953), Psychiatric disorders of epilepsy. Med Press 229:473–475.Google Scholar
- Pond DA, (1957), Psychiatric aspects of epilepsy. J Ind Med Prof 3:1441–1451.Google Scholar
- Stevens JR, (1982), Risk factors for psychopathology in individuals with epilepsy. In: Tenporal Lobe Epilepsy, Mania, and Schizophrenia and the Limbic system, ed Koella WP and Trimble MR pp56–80. Basel Karger.Google Scholar
- Trimble MR, (1982), The interictal psychoses of epilepsy. In: Psychiatric Aspects of Neurologic Disease, ed Benson DF and Blumer D pp 75–91 New York Grune and Stratton.Google Scholar
- Trimble MR and Perez MM, (1982) The phenomenology of the chronic psychoses of epilepsy. In: Tenporal lobe epilepsy, Mania, and Schizophrenia and the Limbic System, ed Koella WP and Trimble MR pp98–105. Basel Karger.Google Scholar
- Wing JK, Cooper JE,and Sartorius N, (1974), The description and classification of psychiatric syirptcms. London Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar