Psychotropic Effect of Combined Estrogen-Vit B6 Treatment in Endogenously Depressed Females
Reduction of monoamine-oxidase (MAO)-activity by estrogens (McEwen et al., 1978);
Competitive inhibition of catechol-o-methyltransferase by 2-hydroxyestrogens, which are major metabolites of estrogens in the CNS (Breuer et al., 1978).
Estrogens seem to modulate the dynamic range of dopamine autoreceptors. DiPaolo et al. (1984) have postulated that estrogens may act as weak neuroleptics. By stimulation of dopamine (DA)-autoreceptors they may enhance dopaminergic transmission and down-regulation of presynaptic DA receptors. This mode of action is also reported for antidepressants by some (Serra et al., 1981; Antelman and Chiodo, 1981) but not all (Holcomb et al., 1982) researchers;
Some recent reports indicate that the cholinergic (Miller, 1983) and serotonergic (DiPaolo et al., 1983) systems are also affected by estrogens.
KeywordsDexamethasone Suppression Test Dopaminergic Transmission Psychotropic Effect Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Premenstrual Tension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breuer, H., Köster, G., Schneider, H.T., and Ladosky, W., 1978, Interactions between estrogens and neurotransmitters: Effect of estrogens on the enzymatic methylation of noradrenaline in brain. In: Brain-Endocrine Interaction III. Neural Hormones and Reproduction, D.E. Scott, G. Kozlowski, and A. Weindl, eds., p274. Karger Verlag, Basel.Google Scholar
- DiPaolo, T., Daigle, M., Picard, V., and Barden, N., 1983, Effect of acute and chronic 17ß-estradiol treatment on serotonin and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid content of discrete brain nuclei of ovariectomized rat. Experimental Brain Research 51: 73.Google Scholar
- DiPaolo, T., Bedard, P., and Labrie, F., 1984, Neuroleptic-like activity of estrogens. VII. World Congress of Psychiatry, Plenum Press, New York- London-Washington D.C.-Boston, in press.Google Scholar
- Holsboer, F., 1982, Hormones. In “Psychopharmacology”, Vol. 1, Part 2: Clinical Psychopharmacology, H. Hippius, and G. Winokur, eds., p. 144. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam-Oxford-Princeton.Google Scholar
- McEwen, B.S., Krey, L.C., and Luine, V., 1978, Steroid hormone action in the neuroendocrine system: When in the genome involved? In: “The Hypothalamus”, R.J. Baldessarini, J.G. Martin, eds., p. 255, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar