Thermal Expansion Behavior of Porous Rocks under Stress
The axial thermal expansions and pore volume contractions of water-saturated Berea, Bandera, and Boise sandstones under stress have been determined as functions of temperature. The samples were subjected to a constant confining stress of 20.7 MPa and pore pressure of 6.9 MPa while being heated from 35°C to 175°C. Resultant decreases in the porosities were 4.4, 3.8, and 3.1 percent for Bandera, Berea and Boise sandstones, respectively. The effect of a variation in stress on Boise sandstone was also investigated. It was found that by decreasing the confining stress to 13.8 MPa the porosity reduction was decreased to 2.6 percent.
KeywordsThermal Expansion Pore Volume Pore Pressure Effective Stress Porous Rock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashgar, P. I., 1979, Thermal Expansion of Porous Rocks Under Stress, Master of Science Project Report, University of California, Berkeley, December 1979.Google Scholar
- Greenwald, R. F., 1980, Ph.D. dissertation to be published, University of California, Berkeley, 1980.Google Scholar
- Harvey, R. D., 1967, Thermal Expansion of Certain Illinois Limestones and Dolomites, Ill. St. Geol. Surv., Circular 415, p. 1–33.Google Scholar
- Ritcher, D. and Simmons, G., 1974, Thermal Expansion Behaviour of Igneous Rocks, Int. Jour. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. and Geomech., Vol. II, p. 403–416.Google Scholar
- Skinner, B. J., 1966, Thermal Expansion in “Handbook of Physical of Constants,” Geol. Soc. of Amer. Memoir No. 97, p. 75–96.Google Scholar
- Somerton, W. H. and Mathur, A. K., 1976, Effects of Temperature on Fluid Flow and Storage Capacity of Porous Rocks, Proceedings 17th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics, Snowbird, Utah, August 25–27, 1976.Google Scholar
- Somerton, W. H. and Selim, M. S., 1961, Additional Thermal Data for Porous Rocks - Thermal Expansion and Heat of Reaction, Soc. Pet. Engrs. Jour., Vol. 4, December 1961, p. 249–253.Google Scholar
- Von Gonten, W. D. and Choudhary, B. K., 1969, The Effect of Pressure and Temperature on Pore Volume Compressibility, Soc. Pet. Engrs. Preprint 2526, September, 1969.Google Scholar
- Wilhelmi, B. and Somerton, W. H., 1967, Simultaneous Measurement of Pore and Elastic Properties of Rocks Under Triaxial Stress Conditions, Soc. Pet. Engrs. Jour., Vol 7, No. 3, September, 1967, p. 283–294.Google Scholar
- Wong, L., 1979, The Effect of Temperature on Permeability, Master of Engineering Project Report, University of California, Berkeley, December, 1979.Google Scholar