Acute Renal Failure in Leptospirosis-A 12-Year Survey
From the beginning of 1974 to the end of 1985 141 persons in Slovenia (population 1,9 million) contracted leptospirosis. 49 patients were 50 years old or more. All the patients have survived.8 male patients aged from 18 to 44 had more severe acute renal failure (ARF), 5 of whom were treated with hemo-dialysis. The authors found that this 100% survival rate did not agree with the findings of many other researches which quote a relatively high mortality rate among older patients. In all 8 patients kidney function was good 1 year or more after ARF. The authors consider that the survival of patients with ARF depends on early and appropriate supportive treatment, which also includes intensive hemodialysis.
KeywordsAcute Renal Failure Interstitial Nephritis Acute Interstitial Nephritis Urine Finding Transitory Sign
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.E. Farrar, 196. Leptospira species (leptospirosis), in: Principles and Practice of Infectious diseases, second edition, G.L. Mandell, R.G. Douglas, J.E. Bennett, eds. New York, John Wiley, 1985, 1338.Google Scholar
- 2.Centers for Disease Control: Leptospirosis Surveillance: Annual Summary 1978. August 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.Leptospirosis Reference Laboratory and Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre (PHLS), Leptospirosis in man, British Isles, 1982, B.M.J., 287: 1365 (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Borghi, G. Bertoli, U. Bodini et.al.,Leptospirosis Defeated?, in: Therapeutic Apheresis; A critical Look, edited by Y.Nose, P.S. Malchesky, and J.W. Smith, ISAO Press, Cleveland(1984),57.Google Scholar
- 9.V.Sitprija, V. Pipatanagul, K. Mertowidjojo, et. al: Pathogenesis of renal disease in leptospirosis. Clinical and experimental studies, 17: 827, (198o).Google Scholar
- 10.M.Martinez-Maldonado, J.E. Benabe, J.M.•Lopez-Novoa. Acute renal failure associated with tubulointerstitial disease including papillary necrosis, in: Acute Renal Failure, B.M. Brenner, J.M. Lazarus, eds. Philadelphia, Sounders Company,(1983), 72.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Luzar, J. Drinovec, P. Jezersek, Akutna bubrena insuficijencija kod leptospiroze. in: IV Kongres internisa Yugoslavie sa medunarodnim ucescem,Zbornik radova, (1973), 553.Google Scholar