Can a Model System of Rod-Like Particles Exhibit Both a Fluid-Fluid and a Fluid-Solid Phase Transition?
The existence of an isotropic-anisotropic phase transition in a system of long rigid rods has been noted by a number of workers. Apart from its intrinsic interest, this result has been considered to have application to at least the nematic-isotropic phase transition observed for nematic mesophases, and perhaps more generally to other mesophases as well.
KeywordsFree Energy Nematic Mesophases Orientational Distribution Function High Density Behavior Close Packed Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. G. De Rocco, Paper No. 38, Second International Liquid Crystal Conference, Kent, Ohio, 1968.Google Scholar
- 2.A. G. De Rocco, and A. Wulf, to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.P. J. Flory, Proc. Roy. Soc. (London) A234, 73 (1956).Google Scholar
- W. G. Hoover, Personal Communication (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.M. A. Cotter, Ph.D. Thesis, Georgetown University (1969).Google Scholar