Structure of Ceramic Surfaces Modified by Ion Beam Techniques
Modification of the near-surface region of materials by use of energetic ion beams has been investigated extensively in recent years. The nature of the process allows one to introduce any element into the near-surface region of solids in a controlled and reproducible manner that is independent of most equilibrium constraints. Since the process is nonequilibrium in nature, compositions and structures unattainable by conventional methods may be produced.
KeywordsCeramic Surface Oxygen Sublattice Union Carbide Corporation Damage Recovery Depth Depth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.B. D. Evans, H. D. Hendricks, F. D. Bazzarre, and J. M. Bunch, pp. 265–74 in Ion Implantation in Semiconductors-1976, edited by F. C. Chernow, J. A. Borders, and D. K. Brice, Plenum Press, NY, 1976.Google Scholar
- 3.T. F. Leura, J. A. Borders, and G. W. Arnold, Ibid., pp. 285–94.Google Scholar
- 15.O. J. Marsh and H. L. Dunlap, pp. 285–95 in Ion Implantation, edited by F. Eisen and L. T. Chadderton, Gordon and Breach, NY, 1970.Google Scholar
- 17.O. J. Marsh, pp. 471–85 in Silicon Carbide-1973, edited by R. C. Marshall, J. W. Faust, Jr., and C. E. Ryan, University of South Carolina Press, 1973.Google Scholar
- 18.A. B. Campbell, J. B. Mitchell, J. Shewchun, D. Thompson, and J. A. Davies, Ibid., pp. 486–92.Google Scholar
- 26.C. J. McHargue, H. Naramoto, B. R. Appleton, C. W. White, and J. M. Williams, pp. 147–53 in Metastable Materials by Ion Implantation, S. T. Picraux and W. J. Choyke, North Holland, NY, 1982.Google Scholar
- 27.C. J. McHargue and J. M. Williams, Ibid., pp. 303–9.Google Scholar
- 28.H. Naramoto, C. W. White, J. M. Williams, C. J. McHargue, O. W. Holland, M. M. Abraham, and B. R. Appleton, submitted to J. Appl. Phys.Google Scholar
- 30.J. M. Williams, C. J. McHargue, and B. R. Appleton, in Proceedings of Ion Beam Modification of Materials-1982, to be published in J. Nuc. Instr. Meth.Google Scholar