Neuropathological Findings in the Thrombosis of Cerebral Veins and Sinuses: Vascular Aspects
Cerebral sinus vein thrombosis (CSVT) is a well recognized clinical and neuropathological entity. Recent progress of neuroradiology made intra vitam diagnosis and visualization of gross parenchymal damage possible [3,19,20,22]. Previously the disease was thought to have a poor prognosis and high mortality . In recent neuroradiological and/or clinical studies on CSVT, however, many patients exhibited a good prognosis [3,10,13]. Neuroradiology, however, provides only limited information on the nature of the thrombus, even when using high-resolution CT or NMR scans [19,22]. Up to now examinations of vascular aspects of CSVT in autopsy series are rare. In this article we review retrospectively 41 cases of CSVT which were neuropathologically examined in our institute between 1969 and 1987.
KeywordsLeukemia Shrinkage Neurol Meningitis Stein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.J. CervOs-Navarro, Verschlüsse der Hirnvenen, in: “Pathologie des Nervensystems’, J. Cervós-Navarro and H. Schneider, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg and New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.P. C. Gates and H. J. M. Barnett, Venous disease: cortical veins and diseases, in: “Stroke”, vol 2, H. J. M. Barnett, B. M. Stein, J. P. Mohr and F. M. Yatsu, eds., Churchill Livingstone Inc., New York (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.R. A. Goldenberg, Lateral sinus thrombosis. Medical or surgical treatment?, Arch. Otolaryngol., 111:56 (1985).Google Scholar
- 13.T. Kawase, T. Tazawa and K. Mizukami, Cerebral venous thrombosis - computed tomography and operative findings in 4 cases of simulated subcortical hemorrhage, Prog. Comput. Tomog., 5: 19 (1983).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Noetzel and F. Jerusalem, “Die Hirnvenen-and Sinusthrombose”, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg and New York (1965).Google Scholar
- 19.K. C. V. G. Ral, H. C. Knipp and E. J. Wagner, Computed tomography findings in cerebral sinus and venous thrombosis, Radiology, 140: 391 (1981).Google Scholar
- 20.P. Rousseaux, M. H. Bernard, B. Scherpereel and J. F. Guyot, Intracranial venous sinus thrombosis - 22 cases, Neurochirurg., 24: 197 (1978).Google Scholar