O2 Supply Dependency in Patients Without Hyperlactemia
Oxygen consumption (VO2) may be limited by oxygen delivery (VO2) despite a normal cardiac output in critically ill patients with sepsis and acute respiratory failure (Biliari et al., 1987). However, some controversy exists whether this phenomenon can only be seen in patients with elevated lactate levels or also in hyperdynamic patients without signs of anaerobic metabolism (Haupt et al., 1985, Gilbert et al., 1986). Therefore, it was our aim to test the hypothesis that inadequate tissue oxygenation may occur in hyperdynamic patients with DO2 values about 600 ml/min/m2 and without hyperlactemia.
KeywordsCardiac Index Oxygen Delivery Acute Respiratory Failure Pulmonary Capillary Wedge Pressure Mean Arterial Blood Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Block, K., 1962, Oxygen and biosynthetic patterns. Fed. Proc, 21: 1058–63.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, E.M., Haupt, M.T., Mandanas, R.J., Huaringa, AJ., Carlson, R.W., 1986, The effect of fluid loading, blood transfusion, and catecholamine infusion on oxygen delivery and consumption patients sepsis, Ann. Rev. Resp. Pis., 134: 873–878.Google Scholar
- Haupt, M.T., Gilbert, E.M., Carlson, R.W., 1985, Fluid loading increases oxygen consumption in septic patients with lactic acidosis, Am. Rev. Respir. Pis., 131: 912–916.Google Scholar
- Reinhart, K., 1989, Oxygen transport and tissue oxygenation in sepsis and septic shock, in: “Sepsis — an interdisciplinary challenge”, K. Reinhart, K. Eyrich eds., Springer Berlin, Heidelberg, New York.Google Scholar
- Robin, E.P., 1980, Of men and mitochondria, Coping with dysoxia, Am. Rev. Respir. Pis., 122:517–531.Google Scholar
- Sibbald, W.J., Bersten, A., Rutledge, F.S., 1989, The role of tissue hypoxia in multiple organ failure in: “Clinical aspects of O2 transport and tissue oxygenation”, Reinhart K, Eyrich K eds. Springer Berlin, Heidelberg, New York.Google Scholar
- Siesjo, B.K., 1978, Brain energy metabolism, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 398–526.Google Scholar