Perinatal Changes in Hemoglobin Concentration in Rats
During experiments on oxygen availability in fetal rats using pulse oximetry as presented by Wijkstra et al.(1989), we were struck by the low total hemoglobin concentration (cHb) in the fetal blood. Since hemoglobin serves as the main oxygen carrier, the course of cHb during fetal life should be investigated before using the rat as an animal model in oxygen transport research.
KeywordsHemoglobin Concentration Sodium Nitrite Fetal Blood Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruner, H. D., Erve, J. van de and Carlson, A. J., 1938, The blood picture of rats from birth to twenty-four days of age, Am J Physiol., 124:620.Google Scholar
- Dacie, J. V. and Lewis, S. M., 1963, p12, in: “Practical Haematology,” 3rd ed., J. and A. Churchill Ltd. London.Google Scholar
- Falkner, F. and Tanner, J. M., 1978, p 359, in: “Human Growth. 1. Principles and Prenatal Growth,” Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Guyton, A.C., 1986, p 986, in: “Textbook of medical physiology,” 7th ed., W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Kindred, J. E. and Corey, E. L., 1931, Studies on the blood of the fetal albino rat. II. The hemoglobin content of the blood as related to the differential erythrocyte count, Physiol Zool., 4:294.Google Scholar
- Nelson, J., 1987, p 1035, in: “Textbook of Pediatrics,” 13th ed., W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Nicholas, J. S. and Bosworth, E. B., 1928, The determination of the amount of hemoglobin present in rat fetuses during development, Am J Physiol., 83:499.Google Scholar
- Oski, F. A. and Naiman, J. L., 1982, Normal blood values in the newborn period, in: “Hematologic problems in the newborn,” 3rd ed., W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Williamson, C. S. and Ets, H. N., 1926, The effect of age on the hemoglobin of the rat, Am J Physiol., 77:480.Google Scholar
- Wijkstra, S., Schuiling, G., Kwant, G. and Oeseburg, B., 1989 in press, Pulse-oximetry in fetal rats, in: “ Proceedings of the III conference on: Fetal and Neonatal Physiological measurements.”Google Scholar