Distribution of Ventilation and Diffusion with Perfusion in a Two-Compartment Model of Gas Exchange
Since the 1940’s mathematical models have been applied to the study of gas exchange (Riley and Cournand, 1949). This is because it is possible to describe the lung, in respiratory physiology, as a set of units with qualitatively similar mathematical description, which can be added for an overall result. As chemical processes are involved in the relationships between gas partial pressures and contents in the blood, such a description involves the solution of non-linear, interdependent and differential equations. Due to the difficulties of such calculations at those early times, most of the work was restricted to graphical analyses with several simplifying assumptions.
KeywordsDissociation Curve Alveolar Ventilation Bohr Effect Perfusion Ratio Partial Pressure Difference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Briscoe, W.A., 1980, Gas Transfer in Diseased Lungs, in: “Pulmonary Gas Exchange”- vol.11, J.B. West, ed., Academic Press, New York, 275–314.Google Scholar
- Fick, A., 1855, Uver diffusion, Pogg. Ann., 94:59.Google Scholar
- Kellogg, R.H., 1987, Laws of physics pertaining to gas exchange, in “Handbook of Physiology — Section 3 — The Respiratory System”. Fishman A.P., ed., Amer. Physiol. Society, Bethesda, Maryland.Google Scholar
- King, T.K.C., Briscoe, W.A., 1967a, Bohr integral isopleths in the study of blood gas exchange in the lung, J. Appl. Physiol., 22:659.Google Scholar
- Loeppky, J., Caprihan, A., Luft, U.C., 1987, V̇A/Q̇ inequality during clinical hypoxemia and its alterations, in: “Man in Stressful Environments”, K. Shiraki and M.K. Yousef, ed., C.C. Thomas, Springfield, Il, 199–232.Google Scholar
- Olszowka, A.J., Wagner, P.D., 1980, Numerical analysis of gas exchange, in: “Pulmonary Gas Exchange” — vol. I, J.B. West, Academic Press, New York, 33–66.Google Scholar
- Press, W.H., Flannery, B.P., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T., 1986, “Numerical Recipes”, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Rahn, H., Fenn, W.O., 1955, A Graphical Analysis of the Respiratory Gas Exchange: The O2-CO2 Diagram, Amer.Physiol.Society, Washington D.C.,Google Scholar
- Wade, O.L., Bishop, J.M., 1962, Cardiac output and regional blood flow, F.A. Davas, Philadelphia, 26–38.Google Scholar
- Wagner, P.D., West, J.B., 1972, Effects of diffusion impairment on O2 and CO2 time courses in pulmonary capillaries, J. Appl. Physiol., 36:62.Google Scholar