Effect of Tachycardia on Intracellular PO2 and Reserves of O2 Transport in Subendocardium of Mouse Left Ventricle
The purpose of this study is to evaluate reserves of O2 transport in myocardium using tachycardia as a stimulus. The O2 saturations of hemoglobin (Hb) in microvessels and myoglobin (Mb) in individual myocytes are the measured responses. The latter is of particular interest in that it represents the net balance of all determinants of O2 supply and demand.
KeywordsMaximum Heart Rate Diffusive Transport Preparative Procedure Subendocardial Ischemia Transmural Gradient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chuong, C.J., and Fung, Y.C., 1986, Residual stress in arteries, in: “Frontiers in Biomechanics.” G.W. Schmid-Schoenbein, S.L.-Y. Woo, and B.W. Zweifach, eds., Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Gayeski, T. E. J., 1981, A Cryogenic Microspectrophotometric Method for Measuring Myoglobin Saturation in Subcellular Volumes; Application to Resting Dog Muscle, (Ph.D. Thesis), Rochester, NY: University of Rochester, Univ. Microfilms, No. DA9224720, Ann Arbor, MI.Google Scholar
- Gayeski, T. E. J., and Honig, C.R., 1986, 02 gradients from sarcolemma to cell interior in a red muscle at maximal VO2, Am. J. Physiol., 251:789.Google Scholar
- Gayeski, T. E. J., and Honig, C. R., 1989, Intracellular PO2 in individual cardiac myocytes in dog, cat, rabbit, ferret and rat, Am. J. Physiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Gray, L.H., and Steadman, J.M. 1964, Determination of the oxyhaemoglobin dissociation curves for mouse and rat blood, 175:161.Google Scholar
- Honig, C.R. 1988. Modern Cardiovascular Physiology. 2nd Ed, Little Brown, Boston.Google Scholar
- Kreuzer, F., and Hoofd, 1987, Facilitated diffusion of oxygen and carbon dioxide, in: “Handbook of Physiology, Section 3: The Respiratory System. Volume IV: Gas Exchange. L.E. Farhi, and S.M. Tenney, eds., Am. Physiol. Soc., Bethesda, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Omens, J.H., 1988, Left ventricular strain in the no-load state due to the existence of residual stress. (Thesis). University of California, San Diego, LaJolla.Google Scholar