Effects of PH before and after Deep-Freeze Storage at -80°C on the Zeta Potentials of Bones
During the investigation of electroosmosis with bone in vitro (Elwood and Smith, 1983, 1984c), we became concerned about the effects of storage and storage media on the electrokinetic properties of bone. When changes in the electrokinetic characteristics of bone in vitro were monitored by measuring streaming potentials and calculating zeta(ζ)-poten-tials it was found that storage media could affect the ζ-potentials of bone stored overnight at 4°C or for several weeks at -80°C (Elwood and Smith 1984a, 1984b). Changes in the electrokinetic properties of the bone were considered to be reflective of its chemical and physical state, and hence of its possible suitability as a bone bank specimen. The changes were also considered to be a likely result of ion adsorption to or exchange between the bone surface and the “fixed” layer of electrolyte solution adjacent to its surface, which includes the double layer discussed in other contributions to this symposium.
KeywordsZeta Potential Trend Line Specific Conductivity Storage Medium Streaming Potential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Elwood, W. K., and Smith, S. D., 1983, Electroosmosis in compact bone, J. Bioelec., 2:37.Google Scholar
- Elwood, W. K., and Smith, S. D., 1984a, Effects of freeze-thawing, storage medium, and incubation on the streaming potentials of bone in vitro, J. Bioelec, 3:67.Google Scholar
- Elwood, W. K., and Smith, S. D., 1984b, Effects of refrigerated (4° C) and deep-freeze (-80°C) storage in buffered HEPES, pH 7.4 on the zeta-potentials of bone, J. Bioelec, 3:385.Google Scholar
- Elwood, W. K., and Smith, S. D., 1984c, Electroosmosis in compact bone in vitro, J. Bioelec, 3:409.Google Scholar
- Elwood, W. K., Smith, S. D., and McKean, H. E., 1985, Effects of pH on the zeta-potentials of bone in vitro, J. Bioelec. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Kambara, M., Asai, T., Kumasaki, M., and Konishi, K., 1978, An electrochemical study on the human dental enamel with special reference to isoelectric point, J. Dent. Res., 57:306.Google Scholar
- Neuman, W. F., and Neuman, M. W., 1958, “The Chemical Dynamics of Bone Mineral”, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Young, E. G., 1963, Occurrence, classification, preparation and analysis of proteins, in: “Comprehensive Biochemistry”, Vol. 7, M. Florkin and E. H. Stotz, eds., Elsevier Publishing Co., New York.Google Scholar
- ____Young, E. G**., 1969, “Data for Biochemical Research”, R. M. C. Dawson, D. C. Elliot, W. H. Elliot and K. M. Jones, eds., 2nd ed. p. 485. Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar