Fatty Acid Composition and Depot Function of Lipid Droplet Triacylglycerols in Renomedullary Interstitial Cells
Although the renin—angiotensin system is known to play an important role in renal hypertension, data have accumulated suggesting that a renal factor besides this system and besides sodium balance is responsible for blood pressure regulation. The question of whether this factor is a vasopressor or a vasdepressor substance has been much discussed. Several lines of evidence have been presented to support the theory that it has a hypotensive action. The theory that hypertension could result from a deficiency of such a vasodepressor substance has recently been supported by studies of Dietz et al. (1978) on the reversibility of experimental renal hypertension.
KeywordsFatty Acid Composition Arachidonic Acid Lipid Droplet Interstitial Cell Renal Medulla
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aeberhard, E., and Menkes, J. H., 1968, Biosynthesis of long chain fatty acids by subcellular particles of mature brain, J. Biot. Chem. 243: 3834.Google Scholar
- Bojesen, I., 1974b, Interconversion of lipids in renal papillae, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on the Biochemistry of Lipids, Milan (September 1974 ), p. 27.Google Scholar
- Bojesen, I., 1980a, In vitro and in vivo lipogenesis of the rat renal papillae from glucose, Biochem. Biophys. Acta (in press).Google Scholar
- Bojesen, I., 1980b, The influence of urea upon lipogenesis in renal papillae of rats, Lipids (in press).Google Scholar
- Carney, J. A., and Walker, B. L., 1972, Ovarian lipids from normal and essential fatty aciddeficient rats during oestrus and dioestrus, Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 41: 137.Google Scholar
- Guder, W. G., and Schmidt, U., 1976, Enzymatic organization of carbohydrate metabolism along the nephron, in: Proceedings of the 6th International Congress on Nephrology, Florence 1975 ( S. Giovannetti, V. Bonomini, and G. D’Amico, eds), Karger, Basel, p. 187.Google Scholar
- Muirhead, E. E., Leach, B. E., Byers, L. W., Brooks, B., Daniels, E. G., and Hinman, J. W., 1971, Antihypertensive neutral renomedullary lipids (ANRL), in: Kidney Hormones ( J. W. Fisher, ed.), Academic Press, London, p. 485.Google Scholar
- Osvaldo-Decima, L., 1973, Ultrastructure of the lower nephron, in: Handbook of Physiology, Section 8: Renal Physiology (J. Orloff and R. W. Berliner, eds.), American Physiological Society, Washington, D. C., pp. 81–102.Google Scholar
- Whereat, A. F., 1971, Fatty acid biosynthesis in aorta and heart, in: Advances in Lipid Research 9 ( R. Paoletti and D. Kritchevsky, eds.), Academic Press, New York and London, pp. 119–159.Google Scholar
- Zilversmit, D. B., 1969, Chylomicrons, in: Structural and Functional Aspects of Lipoproteins in Living Systems ( E. Tria and A. M. Scame, eds.), Academic Press, London and New York, p. 346.Google Scholar