Laser Fusion Experiments Using Spherical Shell Targets
Laser-driven implosion experiments using DT-gas-filled spherical glass-shell targets are described. Neutron yields to 5 × 107 are produced from implosions of small(̴ 55-µm-diameter) targets spherically illuminated with an on-target laser power of 0.5 terawatt. Nuclear reaction product diagnostics, X-ray pinhole photographs, fast-ion spectra and X-ray measurements are used in conjunction with hydrodynamic computer code simulations to investigate the implosion phenomenology as well as the target corona evolution. Simulations using completely classical effects are not able to describe the full range of experimental data. The presence of preheat may be required to explain some implosion measurements.
KeywordsAlpha Particle Neutron Yield Pinhole Camera Neutron Production Anomalous Absorption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. Charatis, J. Downward, R. Goforth, B. Guscott, T. Henderson, S. Hildum, R. Johnson, K. Moncur, T. Leonard, F. Mayer, S. Segall, L. Siebert, D. Solomon, and C. Thomas, Plasma Physics and Controlled Nuclear Fusion Research (Proc. Int. Conf. Tokyo, 1974) IAEA, Vienna (1975) 314.Google Scholar
- 5.T.M. Henderson, R.B. Jacobs, D.E. Solomon and G.H. Wuttke, Advances in Cryogenic Engineering 21 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.Data Report on Task C-7, KMSF Report U463 (Jan. 1976, unpublished).Google Scholar
- 7.D.C. Slater and F.J. Mayer, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 21 (1976) 1194. KMSF Report U534 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.D.C. Slater and F.J. Mayer “Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena” (Plenum Press, New York, 1977), these Proceedings, pp. 603–618; KMSF Report U568 (1976).Google Scholar
- 10.F.J. Mayer, L.D. Siebert and J. Simpson, KMSF Report U437 (1976).Google Scholar
- F.J. Mayer and W.B. Rensel, J. Appl. Phys. 47 (1976) 1491.Google Scholar
- 12.P. Hammerling and R. Osborn, KI-ISF Report U148 (unpublished) 1972.Google Scholar
- 13.T.M. Henderson and R.R. Johnson, KMSF Report U576 (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.N.K. Moncur, KMSF Report U528 (unpublished) 1976.Google Scholar
- 17.W.M. Manheimer, Lawrence Livermore Laboratory Report UCRL-77149 (1975).Google Scholar