Nucleotide Concentrations in Leucocytes and Their Use in Controlling the Quality of Cell Preparations
The association between a reduction in cellular ATP and reduced cell survival has been established for the erythrocyte by many groups (see Seegmiller 1980) and more recently for the kidney (Buhl, 1976a, b). The ATP concentrations in the erythrocyte have guided a search for better condictions of erythrocyte storage for blood transfusion. The factors altering intracellular ATP concentration are therefore of practical interest. A large number of factors reduce ATP concentration but it is difficult to raise it. One condition associated with raised ATP concentration in erythrocytes is renal failure (Mansell and Grimes, 1979).
KeywordsHigh Pressure Liquid Chromatography Adenine Nucleotide Energy Charge Adenylate Energy Charge Nucleotide Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chapman, A.G., and Atkinson, D.E., 1973, Stabilization of the adenylate energy charge by the adenylate deaminase reaction, J. Biol. Chem, 248: 8039.Google Scholar
- Klebanoff, S.J., and Clark, R.A., 1978, “The Neutrophil: Function and Clinical Disorders”, North Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- McCullough, J., 1977, Liquid preservation of granulocytes for transfusion, Progr. Clin. Biol. Res, 13: 185.Google Scholar
- Nussbacher, J., McCullough, J., and Huestis, D., 1977, Granulocyte collection and processing, Progr. Biol. Res, 13: 175.Google Scholar
- O’Connor, M.C., Harkness, R.A., Simmonds, R.J., and Hytten, F.E., 1980, The measurements of hypoxanthine, xanthine, inosine and uridine in umbilical cord blood and fetal scalp blood samples as a measure of fetal hypoxia, Brit. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. in press.Google Scholar
- Pretlow, T.G., Weir, E.E., and Zettergren, J.G., 1975, Problems connected with the separation of different kinds of cells, Internat. Rev. Exp. Path, 1491.Google Scholar
- Seegmiller, J.E., 1980, Diseases of purine and pyrimidine metabolism, in: “Metabolic Control and Disease”, P.K. Bondy and L.E. Rosenberg, eds., Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Seitz, I.F., 1965, Biochemistry of normal and leukemic leukocytes, thrombocytes and bone marrow cells, Adv. Cancer Res, 9: 304.Google Scholar