Biochemical and Biological Characteristics of Leucocyte Proteinase Inhibitors
In last decade there has been an intensifying interest in naturally occurring protease inhibitors. Inhibitors which are present in the same cells as the enzymes they inhibit are of great physiological significance. A vast amount of literature1 reports that leucocytes are cells which contain different types of proteinases: neutral, thiol and acid ones. Only for the latter group of enzymes has the endogenous inhibitor not yet been determined, whereas for all other types the specific endogenous inhibitors have already been detected. Many groups of invest a ors have studied the isolation2–6, molecular characterization7–9 and mode of inhibition of these proteins10.
KeywordsNeutral Proteinase Human Neutrophil Elastase Thiol Proteinase Intracellular Inhibitor Leucocyte Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.J.Barrett, ed., “Proteinases in Mammalian Cells and Tissues”, North Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kopitar, J. Babnik, I. Kregar and A. Suhar, Neutral protei-nases and inhibitors of leucocyte cells, in “Movement, Metabolism and Bactericidal Mechanisms of Phagocytes, F. Rossi, P. Patriarca, D. Romeo, eds., Piccin Medical Books, Padua, London (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Kopitar, A. Suhar, T. Giraldi and V. Turk, Biochemical and Biological properties of cell and tissue neutral proteinases and inhibitors, Acta Biol.Med.Germ. 36: 1863 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Kopitar, T. Giraldi, P. Locnikar and V. Turk, Biochemical and biol ogical properties of leucocyte intracellular inhibitors of proteinases, in “Macrophages and Lymphocytes”, Part A, M.C. Escobar and H. Friedman, eds, Plenum Publishing Co., New York and London (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Kopitar, Isolation and characterization of urokinase inhibitors isolated from pig leucocytes, Haemostasis, in press.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Kopitar, J. Brzin, J. Babnik, V. Turk and A. Suhar, Intracellular neutral proteinases and their inhibitors, in: “Enzyme regulation and mechanism of action” Vol. 60, P. Mildner, B.Ries, eds., Pergamon Press, Oxford, New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.M. Drobnic-Koorok, M. Kopitar, J. Babnik and V. Turk, Inactivation studies of an endogenous inhibitor of urokinase by cathepsin D, Mol.Cell.Biochem. in press.Google Scholar