A Note on the Regulation of the Corpora Allata by the Brain in the Adult Female American Cockroach, Periplaneta Americana
The corpora allata (CA), the source of juvenile hormones (JH) in insects, play a central role in the regulation of insect metamorphosis and reproduction . The ability of CA to biosynthesize and release JH may be measured in vitro by incubating isolated CA in a defined tissue culture medium in the presence of [methyl-C14]-methionine or [methyl-H3]-methionine. The radiobiosynthesized juvenile hormone is separated on radio-TLC and measured by scintillation counting according to methods described previously [2–4].
KeywordsHigh Performance liqUid Chromatography Filtration Albumin Acetonitrile Fractionation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Engelmann, ‘The Physiology of Insect Reproduction”, Pergamon, Oxford (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.R J. Weaver, G. E. Pratt, A. F. Hamnett and R. C. Jennings, The influence of incubation conditions on the rates of juvenile hormone biosynthesis by corpora allata isolated from adult females of the beetle Tenebrio molitor. Insect Biochem., 10:245–254(1980).Google Scholar
- 8.S. S. Tobe and B. Stay, Control of juvenile hormone biosynthesis during the reproductive cycle of a viviparous cockroach: III Effects of denervation and age on compensation with unilateral allatectomy and supernumerary corpora allata. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., 40:89–98 (1980).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.B. Stay and S. S. Tobe, Control of the corpora allata during a reproductive cycle in a viviparous cockroach, Am. Zool., 21:663–674 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.B. Stay and C. R. Paulson, Regulation of juvenile hormone sysnthesis by the corpora allata during metamorphosis, in: “The Molecular Regulation of Invertebrate Development”, J. D. O’Connor, ed., Alan R Liss, NewYork, pp 289–305 (1987).Google Scholar
- 11.S. S. Tobe, Regulation of the corpora allata in adult female insects, in: “Insect Biology in the Future”, M. Locke and D. S. Smith, eds., Academic Press, pp 345–367 (1980).Google Scholar
- 12.B. Lanzrein, R Wilhelm and J. Buschor, On the regulation of the corpora allata activity in adult females of the ovoviviparous cockroach Nauphoeta cinerea, in: “Juvenile Hormone Biochemistry”, G. E. Pratt and G. T. Brooks, eds., Elsevier/North Holland, pp 147–160 (1981).Google Scholar
- 14.R. J. Weaver, G. E. Pratt and J. R. Finney, Cyclic activity of the corpus allatum related to gonotropic cycles in adult female Periplaneta americana, Experientia, 31:597–598(1975).Google Scholar
- 17.D. Schooley, Analysis of the naturally occurring juvenile hormones — their isolation, identification and titre determination at physiological levels, in: “Analytical Biochemistry of Insects”, R B. Turner, ed., Elsevier, pp 241–287 (1977).Google Scholar