Gas Chromatography Linked to Electroantennography: A Versatile Technique for Identifying Insect Semiochemicals
The efficient separating power of high resolution gas chromatography (HRGC) has been combined with the sensitivity and selectivity of electroantennography to produce a versatile technique for identifying insect olfactory stimulants. These chemicals are potentially useful as control agents by modifying insect behaviour. Here we describe the equipment currently used in our laboratory to conduct this work and discuss the scope and limitations of the technique experienced in the identification of a range of insect semiochemicals.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.D. R. Hall, P. S. Beevor, A. Cork, R. Lester, B. F. Nesbitt, G. K. C. Nyirenda, D. D. Nota Phiri, B. W. Blair and J. Tannock, The female sex pheromone of the maize stalk-borer, Busseola fusca (Fuller) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), Zimbabwe J. Agric. Res., 19:111–122(1981).Google Scholar
- 10.A. J. E. Gough, D. R Hall, P. S. Beevor, A. Cork, E. Bursell and G. A. Vale, Attractants for tsetse from cattle urine, in: “Proceedings of the 19th Meeting of the International Scientific Council for Trypanosomiasis Research Control”, Lome, Togo, 27th March-4th April 1987 (in press).Google Scholar
- 16.A. Cork, D. J. Chamberlain, P. S. Beevor, D. R Hall, B. F. Nesbitt, D. G. Campion and M. R Attique, Components of the sex pheromone of spotted bollworm, Earias vittella F. (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae): identification and field evaluation in Pakistan, J. Chem. Ecol., 14:929–945 (1988).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.B. F. Nesbitt, P. S. Beevor, D. R Hall, R Lester, J. C. Davies and K. V. Seshu Reddy, Components of the sex pheromone of the female spotted stalk borer, Chilo partellus (Swinhoe) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae): identification and preliminary field trials, J. Chem. Ecol., 5:153–163 (1979).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.B. F. Nesbitt, P. S. Beevor, D. R. Hall, R Lester and V. A. Dyck, Identification of the female sex pheromones of the moth, Chilo suppressalis, J. Insect Physiol, 21:1883–1886(1975).Google Scholar
- 33.R. J. Hodges, A. Cork and D. R. Hall, Aggregation pheromone for monitoring the greater grain borer, Prostephanus truncatus, British Crop Protection Conference -Pests and Diseases (1984).Google Scholar
- 34.D. R. Hall, P. S. Beevor, A. Cork, B. F. Nesbitt and G. A. Vale, l-Octen-3-ol. A potent olfactory stimulant and attractant for tsetse isolated from cattle odors, Insect Sci. Appl., 5:335–339 (1984).Google Scholar