Use of Thin-Layer Chromatography, High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry to Investigate the Relationship Between Juvenile Hormone Titre and Corpus Allatum Activity in Adult Male Periplaneta Americana
Estimates of juvenile hormone (JH) biosynthesis by isolated corpora allata from adult male Periplaneta americana using a non-discriminatory partition assay suggested glandular activity levels that were comparable with the moderate to highly active rates observed in mid-gonotrophic cycle females. Parallel measurements of endogenous whole body JH titres using micro-derivatization, HPLC and GC-MS showed that male cockroaches contained less than 10% of the amount of hormone found in mid-cycle females. Radio-TLC measurements of the short-term in vitro synthetic performance of male glands failed to reveal any major differences from female corpora allata. Follow-up JH titre studies combined with surgical sectioning of the allatal nerves seemed to indicate that the corpora allata of adult male cockroaches are subject to neural inhibition in vivo.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Engelmann, “The Physiology of Insect Reproduction”, Pergamon, Oxford (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.R. H. Barth, The comparative physiology of reproductive processes in cockroaches. Part I. Mating behavior and its endocrine control, in: “Advances in Reproductive Physiology”, A. McLaren, ed., Academic Press, NY, pp 167–207 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.R. J. Weaver, G. E. Pratt and J. R. Finney, Cyclic activity of the corpus allatum related to gonadotrophic cycles in adult female Periplaneta americana, Experientia, 31:597–598(1975).Google Scholar
- 11.B. Scharrer, Section of the nervi corporis cardiaci in Leucophaea maderae (orthoptera) Analrec. 96:577 (1946).Google Scholar
- 15.H. Kataoka, A. Toschi, J. P. Li, R. L. Carney, D. A. Schooley and S. J. Kramer, Identification of an allatotrophin from adult Manduca sexta, Science, 243:1481–1483(1989).Google Scholar
- 18.J. P. Edwards, J. Chambers, N. R. Price and J. P. G. Wilkins, Action of a juvenile hormone analogue on the activity of Periplaneta americana corpora allata in vitro and on juvenile hormone III levels in vivo, Insect Biochem., 17: 111 5–1118 (1987).Google Scholar
- 23.V. R. Vijayalekshmi and K. G. Adiyodi, Accessory sex glands and their secretions in male Periplaneta americana (L.).II. Secretory behavior and maturation of the mushroom gland complex, Ind. J. Exp. Biol, 11:515–520 (1973).Google Scholar
- 24.W. D. Blaine and S. E. Dixon, The effect of juvenile hormone on the function of the accessory gland of the adult male cockroach Periplaneta americana (Orthoptera: Blattidae), Can. Entomol, 105:1275–1280(1973).Google Scholar
- 27.H. B. Hartman and M. Suda, Pheromone production and mating behavior by allatectomized males of the cockroach, Nauphoeta cinerea, J. Insect Physiol., 19:1417–1422(1973).Google Scholar
- 29.L. I. Avruch and S. S. Tobe, Juvenile hormone biosynthesis by the corpora allata of the male desert locust Schistocerca gregaria during sexual maturation, Can. J. Zool., 56:2097–2102(1978).Google Scholar
- 32.A. R. McCaffery and V. A. McCaffery, Corpus allatum activity during overlapping cycles of oocyte growth in adult female Melanoplus sanguinipes, J. Insect Physiol., 29:259–266(1983).Google Scholar