Thin-Layer Chromatography of Ecdysteroids: Detection and Identification
Recent advances in the instrumentation available for thin-layer chromatography (TLC) which have greatly extended the potential of the technique for ecdysteroid analysis are described. In particular, improvements in scanning densitometers and radioactivity detectors have resulted in a versatile, rapid and quantitative technique which complements other chromatographic methods such as gas and high performance liquid chromatography. In addition, the viability of TLC-mass spectrometry (MS) for ecydsteroids, without prior isolation from the TLC plate, is shown, together with preliminary results for TLC combined with tandem mass-spectrometry (TLC-MS-MS) for studies on phytoecdysteroids.
KeywordsFast Atom Bombardment Sample Application Supercritical Fluid Chromatography Scanning Densitometry Radioactivity Detector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. H. S. Horn, The ecdysones, in:“Naturally Occurring Insecticides”, M. Jacobson and D. G. Crosby, eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 333–459 (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.I. D. Wilson, Reversed-phase thin-layer chromatography of the ecdysteroids, J. Plan. Chromatog., 1:116–122 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.I. D. Wilson, R Lafont and P. Wall, TLC of ecdysteroids with off-line identification by fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry directly from the adsorbent, J. Plan. Chromatog., 2:357–359 (1988).Google Scholar
- 6.R. M. Belchamber, S. J. Brinkworth, H. Read and J. M. Roberts, Qualitative and quantitative image analysis of fluorescents from high-performance thin-layer chromatography, in:“Recent Advances in Thin-Layer Chromatography”, F. A. A. Dallas, H. Read, R. J. Ruane and I. D. Wilson, eds., Plenum, New York, pp 37–44 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.P. D. Robinson, E. D. Morgan, I. D. Wilson and R. Lafont, The metabolism of ingested and injected [3H] ecdysone by final instar larvae of Heliothis armigera, Physiol. Entomol., 12:321–330(1987).Google Scholar
- 11.G. Dietzel, H. Kubisak and H. Stelzer, Development of 2-dimensional detectors for radio-thin-layer chromatography, in:“Recent Advances in Thin-Layer Chromatography”, F. A. A. Dallas, H. Read, R J. Ruane and I. D. Wilson, eds., Plenum, New York, pp 117–123 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.H. Filthuth, Digital autoradiograph: a new detector for radiochromatography and electrophoresis, in:“Recent Advances in Thin-Layer Chromatography”, F. A. A. Dallas, H. Read, R J. Ruane and I. D. Wilson, eds., Plenum, New York, pp 125–129 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Filthuth, A new detector for radiochromatography and radiolabeled multi sample distributions — the digital autoradiograph, J. Plan. Chromatog., 3:198–202 (1989).Google Scholar
- 14.I. Smith, The AMBIS two-dimensional Beta scanner, in:“Recent Advances in Thin- Layer Chromatography”, F. A. A. Dallas, H. Read, R J. Ruane and I. D. Wilson, eds., Plenum, New York, pp 77–86 (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.M. W. Raynor, J. P. Kithinji, K. D. Bartle, D. E. Games, I. C. Mylchresst, R Lafont, E. D. Morgan and I. D. Wilson, Packed column supercritical fluid chromatography and linked supercritical fluid chromatography-mass spectrometry for the analysis of phytoecdysteroids from Silène nutans and Silène otites, J. Chromatog., 467:292–298 (1989).CrossRefGoogle Scholar