Autonomic Nervous Control of the Intrinsic Cardiac Pacemaker and Its Electronic Analogue Simulator
Influence and participation of the central and autonomic nervous systems on the performance of the cardiovascular system has been a subject of long interest and extensive studies (1–10). One of the parameters in evaluation of the cardiovascular function is the heart rate. Its regulation by the autonomic nervous system has been studied in depth (11–20). Attempts at better understanding the mechanisms of this regulation were made by developing a mathematical model of the heart rate control by the two antagonistically acting subdivisions of the autonomic nervous system, i.e., the sympathetic and parasympathetic (vagus) systems (21–23).Their role in the reflex control of the heart rate was discussed (11,12).
KeywordsAutonomic Nervous System Vagal Stimulation Heart Rate Response Cardiac Pacemaker Sympathetic Stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Levy, M.N., Ng, M., Martin, P. and Zieske, H.: “Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Interactions Upon the Left Ventricle of the Dog.” Circulation Res., 19: 5, 1966.Google Scholar
- 13.Chandra, A.N., Jackson, W.D. and Katona, P.G,: “Heart Rate Response to Individual Electric Vagal Impulses.” Proceedings of 21st ACEMB, page 46.7, Houston, Texas, Nov. 18–21, 1968.Google Scholar
- 14.Wolf, S.: “Central Autonomic Influences on Cardiac Rate and Rhythm.” Mod. Conc. Cardiov. Dis., 38:29, 1969Google Scholar
- 15.Scher, A.M. and Young, A.C.: “Reflex Control of Heart rate in the Unanesthetized Dog. ” A.. J. Physiol., 218: 780, 1970.Google Scholar
- 21.Warner, H.R,: “Neural Control of the Cardiac Pacemaker.” in Digest of the 1961 International Conference on Medical Electronics, 9–4:62, July 18, 1961.Google Scholar
- 22.Warner, H.R. and Cox, A.: “Mathematical Model of Heart Rate Control by Sympathetic and Vagus Efferent Information.” in The Application of Control Theory to Physiological Systems, Howard T. Milhorn (ed.), Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, Co., 1966.Google Scholar
- 23.Russel, O., Jr., Warner, H.R.: “Effects of Combined Sympathetic and Vagal Stimulation on Heart Rate.” The Physiologist, 10: 295, 1967.Google Scholar
- 24.Miller, M.E., Christensen, G.C. and Evans, H.E.: Anatomy of the Dog, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, Co., 1964, pages 629–638.Google Scholar