Effect of an Electromagnetic Field on the Sciatic Nerve of the Rat
In our present program interest is centred on the effect of electromagnetic fields on nervous tissue. Hersey, Frey and others (1,2,3) have reported functional changes in biological organisms when exposed to an electromagnetic field in the VHF, UHF and SHF ranges. There is little in the literature on the structural changes produced by such radiation (4,5). We have previously beer concerned with the SHF (microwave) range (6,7); this paper deals with effects of a VHF (27 MHz) field on the exposed peripheral nerves of rats.
KeywordsSciatic Nerve Schwann Cell Biological Organism Peripheral Nervous Tissue Lead Hydroxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hersey, P.S.L., Uhf Effects on Living Organisms, Paper presented at Ontario Cancer Institute Symposium, October, 1968. Report published by Canadian Westinghouse.Google Scholar
- 2.Popovic, V.P., H.A. Ecker, R.P. Zimmer, Pava POPOVIC, Enhanced Effectiveness of Chemotherapy and Regression on Tumors after their Electromagnetic Heating in Deeply Hypothermic Animals. Fifth International Symposium, International Microwave Power Institute, Scheveningen, Holland, October, 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.RYZHOV, A.I., T.V. ANUFRIEVA, The Growth Morphology of the Nervous System of the Skin of Guinea Pigs exposed in a variable Magnetic Field. Second All-Union Conference on the Effect of Magnetic Fields on Biological Organisms, Moscow, September, 1969.Google Scholar
- 5.ALEKSANDROVSKAYA, M.M., Yu.A. KHOLODOV, Early Histological Reactions of Glial Formations in the Cerebral Cortex of Rabbits exposed to a steady magnetic field. Second All—Union Conference on the Effect of Magnetic Fields on Biological Organisms, Moscow, September, 1969.Google Scholar
- 6.TANNER, J.A., C. ROMERO—SIERRA, Bird Feathers as Sensory Detectors of Microwave Fields. Symposium on the Biological Effects and Health Implications of Microwave Radiation, Virginia Commonwealth University, September, 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.TANNER, J.A., C. ROMERO—SIERRA, S. J. DAVIE, The Effects of Microwaves on Birds Preliminary experiments. Journal of Microwave Power, 4 (2): 122–128 (1969).Google Scholar