Sagittal Focusing Optics
Ideally, one would like to determine any structure with only one crystal in a “reasonable” time With present-day detecting, electronic and flux technologies applied to biological substances, this implies neutron diffraction, because the electric field carried by the particle is too weak to cause any damage to the bonding (Hanson and Schoenborn, 1981). The drawbacks with this radiation are mainly twofold: (i) low flux and compounding, and (ii) due to low scattering cross sections, large crystals are required whose qualities may not be as high as small ones (defects and inhomogeneities related to compositional changes within the same crystal).
KeywordsSynchrotron Radiation Crystal Monochromator Anomalous Scattering National Synchrotron Light Source Photon Factory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 1984, “HHS Publication No. (CDC) 84–8395, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service Centers for Disease Control and National Institutes of Health, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Dorset and Baber, 1983, Webster’s New Universal Unabridged Dictionary.Google Scholar
- Freund, A., These proceedings.Google Scholar
- Hendrickson, W. A., These proceedings.Google Scholar
- Hendrickson, W. A., Anomalous scattering in macromolecular structure analysis, in: “Crystallography in Molecular Biology,” Moras, D., Drenth, J., Strandlberg, B., Suck, D., and Wilson, K., eds., Plenum Publ. Corp., New York.Google Scholar
- Matsushita, T., 1987, personal communication.Google Scholar
- Moffat, K., Bilderback, D., Schildkamp, W., and Volz, K., 1986, Laue diffraction from biological samples, Nucl. Instr. and Meth., A246:627. Oxford English Dictionary, 1979, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Robert, P., 1970, Le Petit Robert, Societe du Nouvean Littre.Google Scholar
- Schoenborn, B. P., 1975, Phasing of neutron protein data by anomalous dispersion, in: “Anomalous Scattering,” S. Ramaseshan and S. C. Abrahams, eds., Published for International Union of Crystallography by Munksgaard, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Takacs, P. Z., These proceedings.Google Scholar
- Yu, L. H., Galayda, J., and Ma, L., 1988, A preliminary study of the intensity dependence of the split ion chamber beam position monitor, Brookhaven National Laboratory, BNL-41673.Google Scholar