Surface-Photopolymerization of Maleimides
It has been known for some time that butadiene in contact with metallic substrates polymerizes under the influence of ultraviolet light1. Depositions on various substrates from C4H 6 2,3 , and other diene and vinyl monomers3, and from the perhalogenated monomers C4C16 and C2F 4 2−4 have been described in some detail. The surface-photopolymerization process has also been extended to the vapors from solid monomers such as pyromellitic diimide and succinimide5. This paper describes surface-deposition of polymeric films from solid maleimide and other imide monomers, with emphasis on the thermally stable films deposited from the vapor of N-phenylmaleimide.
KeywordsPolymeric Film Maleic Anhydride Dissipation Factor Thin Polymeric Film Quartz Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. White, Proc. Chem. Soc., 337 (1961); Insulation, 13 (5), 52 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.A.N. Wright, Pòstprints of the SPE Regional Technical Conference on “Photopolymers-Principles, Processes and Materials”, The Nevile Country Club, Ellenville, N.Y., November 6–7, 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.V.J. Mimeault and A.N. Wright, “Reactivity of Solids”, Edited by J.W. Mitchell, R.C. DeVries, R.W. Roberts, and P. Cannon, p. 543, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1969.Google Scholar
- 5.A.N. Wright, unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 6.R.N. Warrener and J.B. Bremner, Rev. Pure & Appl. Chem., 16, 117 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.T.V. Scheremeteva, M.G. Zhenevshaya, Yu. D. Kondrashev, and Yu. G. Baklagina, Izvest. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim, 1723 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.I.M. Barkalov, V.A. Benderskii, V.I. Gol’danskii and S.S. Kuz’mina, Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim, 169, 1111 (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.V.S. Ivanov, V.K. Smirnova, and I.R. Kalandadze, Vestn. Leningr. Univ. Ser. Fiz Khim, 23, 142 (1968); Vysokomol Soedin Ser. B, 151 (1967).Google Scholar