Interstate Marine Fisheries Compacts
There are three such compacts in the United States, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Compact, which was approved by the Congress in 1942 (56 Stat. 267), the Gulf States Marine Fisheries Compact, and the Pacific Marine Fisheries Compact, which were approved later. These compacts, and the commissions that were established under them, were formed basically to promote better utilization of the marine fisheries resources in their areas. They represent 23 states, from Maine to Florida, including Pennsylvania, on the Atlantic coast; Florida to Texas on the Gulf of Mexico coast, and Alaska to California on the Pacific coast. We shall discuss only the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) in detail.
KeywordsExecutive Director Atlantic Coast Pacific Coast Fishery Management Striped Bass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. 1958. Important Fisheries of the Atlantic Coast. Suppl. to 16th Ann. Rept. of ASMFC, Mount Vernon, N.Y: 52 p.Google Scholar
- Crowther, H. E. 1969. ASMFC, 27th Ann. Rept., Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Hickman, Milton T. 1968. Report of the Chairman Milton T. Hickman. ASMFC, 26th Ann. Rept., Tallahassee, Fla: 62–65.Google Scholar
- Livingstone, Robert, Jr. 1965. A preliminary bibliography with KWIC index on the ecology of estuaries and coastal areas of the eastern United States. U.S. Dept. Interior, Bu. Comm. Fish., Spec. Sci. Rept. — Fish. No. 507: iii + 352 p.Google Scholar
- Magnuson, Warren G. (Chm.). 1965. Compilation of federal laws relating to the conservation and development of our nation’s fish and wildlife resources. 89th Congress, 1st Sess., U.S. Govt. Printing Off., Washington, D.C: xiv + 472 p.Google Scholar
- McHugh, J. Laurence. 1962. Stocktaking for the new regime. ASMFC, 21st Ann. Rept., Tallahassee, Fla: 62–65.Google Scholar
- Mitts, Ernest. 1962. Report of Secretary-Treasurer. ASMFC 21st Ann. Rept., Tallahassee, Fla: 8–11.Google Scholar
- Mitts, Ernest. 1967. Report of Executive Director Ernest Mitts. ASMFC, 25th Ann. Rept., Tallahassee, Fla: 8.Google Scholar
- Quittmeyer, Charles L. (Dir.), Jay D. Andrews, Gilbert C. Jones, Victor A. Liguori, Dwynal B. Pettengill, and Anthony L. Sancetta. 1966. A report on the Chesapeake Bay fisheries of Maryland. Prepared by an independent research group for the Seafood Advisory Committee of Wye Institute. Wye Inst., Centreville, Md: vii + 68 p.Google Scholar