Left Ventricular Function and Surgical Treatment of Mitral Regurgitation
J. N. Corvisart in 1808 was the first to recognize mitral regurgitation in a 39 year-old man with an apical systolic murmur, who died subsequently of cardiac failure. An autopsy rupture of the chordae to the mitral valve leaflet was found. At the beginning of this century Sir Thomas Lewis tended to attribute cardiac failure more to myocardial disease and dyfunction than the mechanical effects of mitral regurgitation. Also the latter view is correct in a large number of patients presenting with an apical murmur in ischemic or hypertensive heart disease. The present discussion deals with the dysfunction of the mitral valve causing left ventricular failure.
KeywordsMitral Valve Mitral Regurgitation Infective Endocarditis Mitral Valve Replacement Rheumatic Heart Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Björk, V. O., Björk, L., and Malers, E., Left ventricular function after resection of the papillary muscles in patients with total mitral valve replacement, J.Thorac.Cardiovasc. Surg., 48: 635 (1964).Google Scholar
- Kirschbaum, M., Luncia, F., Germon, P., Maranhao, V., Cha, S. D., and Lemole, G., 1981, Ventricular function before and after mitral valve replacement, J.Thorac.Cardiovasc.Surg., 82: 752 (1981).Google Scholar
- Lillehei, C. W., Levy, M. J., and Bonnabeau, R. C., Mitral valve replacement with preservation of papillary muscles and chordae tendineae, J.Thorac.Surg., 47: 532 (1964).Google Scholar
- Morton, M. J., Bohnsted, S. W., Pantely, G. A., and Rahimtoola, S., Effect of successful mitral valve replacement on left ventricular function, Circulation, 62: 11I - 208 (1980).Google Scholar
- Peter, C. A., Austin, E. H., and Jones, R. H., Effect of valve replacement for chronic mitral insufficiency on left ventricular function during rest and exercise, J.Thorac.Cardiovasc. Surg., 82: 127 (1981).Google Scholar
- Rushmer, R. F., Initial phase of ventricular systole: Asynchonour contraction, Am.J.Physiol., 184: 188 (1956).Google Scholar
- Selzer, A., Nonrheumatic mitral regurgitation, Med.Concepts Cardiovasc.Dis., 48: 25 (1979).Google Scholar
- Senning, A., and Rothlin, M. E., Chirurgie bei hypertropher obstruktiver kardiomyopathie, Z.Kardiologie, 71: 806 (1982).Google Scholar
- Wiggers, C. S., and Katz, L. M., Contour of the ventricular volume curves under different conditions, Am.J.Physiol., 58: 439 (1922).Google Scholar