The Application of Ray Methods to Wave Refraction Studies
In offshore and coastal engineering studies one of the prime data requirements is an accurate description of the wave climate at the site of the study. Such data is rarely available, as the collection of wave data is a lengthy and expensive business and requires at least one year’s advance warning of the data requirement. If data is available, it will only refer to the location of the recorder, which may be located at some distance from the site for operational reasons. Where data is not available, data from a remote site or hindcast data must be used. In any of these cases there is a requirement for the available data to be modified to reflect the differences between conditions at the data site and those at the study site.
KeywordsWave Height Wave Breaking Wave Direction Bottom Friction Wave Climate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abernathy, C. L. & Gilbert, G., 1975 Refraction of wave spectra. Hydraulics Research Station, Int.Rep. INT 117.Google Scholar
- Carter, D. J. T., 1982 Estimation of wave spectra from wave height and period. MIAS Rep.No. 4, I.O.S. Warmley.Google Scholar
- Christoffersen, J. B., Skovgaard, D. & Jonsson, I. G., 1981 A numerical model for current depth refraction of dissipative waves. Proc.Int.Symp. on Hydrodyn. in Ocean Eng., Trondheim, VI.Google Scholar
- Crowley, J. B., Fleming, C. A. & Cooper, C. N., 1982 A computer model for the refraction of non-linear waves. Proc 18th Conf. On Coastal Engr.Google Scholar
- Fleming, C. A., 1983 A numerical model for scour round a caisson island. ACROSES Arctic Regional Workshop, Calgary, Canada.Google Scholar
- Gerritsen, F., 1979 Energy dissipation in breaking waves. Proc 5th Conf. P.O.A.C.Google Scholar
- Jonsson, I. G. & Carlsen, N. A., 1976 Experimental and theoretical investigation in an oscillating turbulent boundary layer. J.Hydr.Res 1 4.Google Scholar
- Lick, W., 1978 Diffraction of waves by a wedge. Proc. ASCE WW2.Google Scholar
- Skovgaard, O., Jonsson, I. G. & Bertelsen, J. A., 1975 Computations of wave heights due to refraction and friction. Proc. ASCE WW1 101.Google Scholar
- Southgate, H. N., 1981 Ray methods for combined refraction and diffraction problems. H.R.S. Report IT214.Google Scholar