Glutamate and Anoxic Neuronal Death in Vitro
Identifying the factors responsible for the exquisite sensitivity of the brain to anoxia and ischemia has been very difficult with currently available preparations. During the past three years, our laboratory has utilized two fairly well characterized in vitro preparations to study the effects of anoxia on central mammalian neurons. The experiments described below, which employed cultures of dissociated hippocampal neurons and slices of rat hippocampus, implicate the synaptic release of glutamate (Glu) in the pathophysiology of anoxic neuronal death.
KeywordsExcitatory Amino Acid Synaptic Activity Hippocampal Culture Excitatory Amino Acid Receptor Synaptic Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banker, G., and Cowan, W.M., 1977, Rat hippocampal neurons in dispersed cell culture, Brain Res. 126: 397.Google Scholar
- Clark, G., Samaie, M., and Rothman, S., 1985, Blockade of synaptic transmis- sion protects rat hippocampal slice from hypoxia, Ann. Neurol. 18:385.Google Scholar
- Crunelli, V., Forda, S., and Kelly, J.S., 1983, Blockade of amino acid-induced depolarizations and inhibition of excitatory post-synaptic potentials in rat dentate gyrus, J. Physiol. 341:627.Google Scholar
- Kuffler, S.W., Nicholls, J.G., and Martin, A.R., 1984, From Neuron to Brain. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.Google Scholar
- Olney, J.W., 1978, Neurotoxicity of excitatory amino acids, in: Kainic Acid as a Tool in Neurobiology. E.G. McGeer, J.W. Olney, and P.L. McGeer, eds., Raven, New York, p. 95.Google Scholar
- Rosenberg, P.A., Schweitzer, J.S., and Dichter, M.A., 1984, Norepinephrine increases synaptic activity in rat cerebral cortex in dissociated cell culture, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 10:70.Google Scholar
- Rothman, S.M., and Samaie, M., 1985, The physiology of excitatory synaptic transmission in cultures of dissociated rat hippocampus, J. Neurophvsiol. 54:701.Google Scholar
- Segal, M., 1983, Rat hippocampal neurons in culture: responses to electrical and chemical stimuli, J. Neurophvsiol. 50:1249.Google Scholar
- Silverstein, F.S., Buchanan, F., and Johnston, M.V., 1985, Hypoxia-ischemia gauses severe but reversible depression of striatal synaptosomal H-glutamate uptake, Ann. Neurol. 18:122.Google Scholar