A Patch-Clamp Study of Excitatory Amino Acid Activated Channels
Although the introduction of the patch-clamp techniques (Neher and Sakmann, 1976; Hamill et al., 1981) has been universally recognized as a major breakthrough in the biophysical study of ion channels, these techniques have not yet become a standard tool for pharmacological studies. We shall briefly describe below some of the results that we have obtained, using ‘outside-out’ patches of mouse central neurons (Nowak et al., 1984), in the characterization of excitatory amino acid (EAA) receptors and channels. In this description, we shall not develop the biophysical results (and in particular the description of kinetics of the channels) but shall concentrate on the results of direct pharmacological and physiological relevance.
KeywordsGlycine NMDA Acetylcholine Inositol Monophosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ascher, P., Nowak, L., and Kehoe, J.S., 1986, Glutamate-activated channels in molluscan and vertebrate neurones, in: Ion Channels in Neural Membranes, J.M. Ritchie and R.D. Keynes, Alan R. Liss, in press.Google Scholar
- Cull-Candy, S.G., and Ogden, D.C., 1985, Ion channels activated by L-glutamate and GABA in cultured cerebellar neurones of the rat, Proc. R, Soc. B., 224: 367.Google Scholar
- Curtis, D.R., and Johnston, G.A.R., 1974, Amino acid transmitters in the mammalian central nervous system, Ergebn. Physiol., 69: 97.Google Scholar
- Foster, A.C., and Fagg, G.E., 1984, Acidic amino acid binding sites in mammalian neuronal membranes: their characteristics and relationship to synaptic receptors, Brain Res. Rev., 7: 101.Google Scholar
- Foster, G.A., and Roberts, P.J., 1981, Kainic acid stimulation of cerebellar cyclic GMP levels: potentiation by glutamate and related amino acids, Neurosci. Lett., 23: 67.Google Scholar
- Hamill, O.P., Bormann, J., and Sakmann, B., 1983, Activation of multiple-conductance state chloride channels in spinal neurones by glycine and GABA, Nature, 309: 160.Google Scholar
- Mayer, M~, Westbrook, G., and Guthrie, P.B., 1984, Voltage dependent block by Mg of NMDA responses in spinal cord neurones, Nature, 309: 261.Google Scholar
- McLennan, H., 1981, On the nature of receptors for various excitatory amino acids in the mammalian central nervous system, Adv. Biochem. Psychopharmacologv, 27: 253.Google Scholar
- Watkins, J.C., and Evans, R., 1981, Excitatory amino acid transmitters, Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol., 21: 165.Google Scholar